Chapter 2

Chase led the group towards the office. He looked back every now and then at the group behind him, specifically at Tracker. The little dog was talking with Tuck in hushed tones. Chase turned back to face forward.

  "What's wrong, Chase"?

  Chase looked over at Wildcat and the Cat Pack, who had stayed with him as they walked.

  "Nothing. Why do you ask"?

  "Oh, no reason". Wildcat grinned. "You just have the look on your face like you're about ready to send a certain Golden Retriever into the afterlife".

  "That's not funny".

  Wildcat pursed his lips.

  "Yeah. Sorry. I should've thought that one through".

  Chase shrugged. "No matter. We're here".

  The group hesitated for a second before following Chase through the doorway.

  Inside, they discovered that since the cops hadn't brought a body bag, the body of their friend hadn't been removed.

  Roxi stopped in the doorway.

  "You know, I'm honestly regretting my decision to come. Can I just stay outside the door"?

  "Sure," Chase replied. "Anyone else that wants to can stay with her. I'd prefer she wasn't alone".

  "I'll go out with her," Rex offered.

  "I'll come too," Zuma replied.

  After a bit of discussion, they all decided that Chase, Tracker, Tuck, Leo, Wild, and Al would investigate while the rest waited outside.

  "Alright, everybody," Chase said to his group, "look around and yell if you find anything".

10:00 pm

  "They've been gone for a long time," Rubble said. "I'm kinda worried".

  "Don't worry, Rubble, I'm sure they're doing okay".

  "Can you try to call them, Ryder"?

  Ryder looked at the bulldog.

  "The power's down, but I might be able to". Ryder pulled out his PupPad and clicked on Chase's icon.

  But a no signal symbol showed up on his phone.

  "Sorry, pup, there's no signal".

  "Guess we have to go look for them," Coral said.

  "We'll stay here for a little longer. I'm sure they're fine".

  "Find anything?" Chase called.

  Negative responses floated from around the darkened room.

  "It is so fuckin' dark in here," Chase thought. "Geez. I wish I had remembered one of Ryder's flashlights. Oh well".

  Suddenly, the door slammed closed, and a click could be heard.

  "What the heck?!" Al called. "Hey, who locked the door"?!

  "Everyone, meet at the door!" Chase ordered. He ran to the door and turned on his puptag to produce some light.

  When everyone was gathered at the door, Chase looked everyone over.

  "Good. We're all here".

  "What the hell happened?" Leo asked.

  "No idea". Chase turned to the door. "Hey, is everyone alright out there"?

  No response.

  "Guys"?

  Still no answer.

  "Something happened to them!" Tracker exclaimed. "The killer got them"!