Hangin' Out

I sat myself at my desk in class, not sure what to think of my ride to school. I adjusted myself, pulled my chair closer to the table, and took my phone out and started texting Chris after informing in our family group that we were in class.
Dude that was so awkward...
Chris immediately started typing out a reply.
Tell me about it...
I even forgot to say bye, just running off as soon as I got into the car
Felt bad and had to come back
Just didn't feel right
I smiled to myself.
Yeah I saw
Also it kinda became weirder after you left
He started engaging in small talk with me
Even called me Cupcake
I just had to add emphasis to the last word, worth the extra effort. Chris typed out a reply of emojis, making me laugh. I sighed and started typing out a reply.
I don't know what to think
Part of it feels good
But the other part is strange

I agree...
But I guess we should just go with it and see what happens
After all
Charles really does feel sorry for what he did

I know...
But it's just so hard to fully accept

I'm with you on that
We just have to try
I can see that he is indeed treating Mom right
She looks so much happier now
He's right, Mom does seem a lot happier after the divorce got cancelled. And I do know that Charles really does feel terrible for what he had done, how he treated Mom and all. It's clear that he doesn't want to let us go one bit.
Barbara grinned at me as she walked past my desk to go to hers. I smiled back and went back to my phone to read a chapter of Marry My Friend.
"Sorted everything out?" Barbara suddenly piped up.
I turned to her. "Huh?"
Barbara shrugged. "No, I just figured that there must've been something going on, seeing how you were absent for two days. Is everything alright?"
I didn't know what to say and ended up making a motion with my hands, shrugging my shoulders, to say that I didn't actually know.
"Oh... okay..." Barbara said. "I'm not even gonna ask what it is."
She better not. The last thing I want right now is her prying into my life. I put my phone away when the teacher came up. Class has begun.

I went down for recess, hoping that Luna wouldn't do anything. I'm so not in the mood to deal with her crap. As it is, I've already got lots of drama in my hands. I don't want her to add more to the list.
I took my phone out to read a manga as soon as I started eating. Priscilla soon came in and leapt into the spot beside me, making me forget about Marry My Friend for a moment since she's pretty fun to talk to. I like how everyone was able to filter out the conversations around them and speak among themselves, making three separate conversations at our table, with some of them eventually collaborating.
Which ended up being the cause for Luna being stuck as the only one seated silently since Kayla joined Barbara and Lydia's conversation instead. I sighed. Why do I always have to be the kind one?
"Hey, Luna, how's your ankle?" I asked.
Luna nodded. "It's all better now. Just that, it still hurts if I bend it the wrong way."
"That's common for a sprain," Priscilla added. "Anyway, did you watch the latest episode of Marry My Friend?"
Luna shook her head. "No, I haven't. Anything interesting happens?"
Priscilla told her as much without sparring any spoilers. Which is good since I have lots of episodes more to finish the series.
I finished eating as quickly as I can and got up, packing my lunch bag as I did. I waved at the rest and was about to make an exit when Luna got up too.
"Charlotte, wait," Luna said, making me groan inwardly. "I wanna come too."
Great. This is perfect.
I begrudgingly waited for her as she packed up her empty container that was previously filled in salad, which contained way less sauce than before, and followed me out of the canteen. Neither of us spoke a word.
"So, um..." Luna suddenly said as we neared the stairs to the library, getting my attention. "You didn't come to school for two days."
"I have my reasons," I said. "Kinda personal."
"Oh," Luna nodded. I seriously hope she isn't gonna prod further. "Okay."
I heaved a sigh of relief. "Yeah."
"What happened?" And there it is.
I sighed. "Luna, which part of personal did you not understand?"
"Yeah, sorry," Luna said. "I shouldn't have asked."
"It's not just you, I don't wish to tell anyone," I justified. "It's just that personal."
"It's fine, I get it," Luna smiled slightly. "I wouldn't want others meddling with my personal affairs as well."
Then why ask me, doofus? I said nothing more and made a beeline for the library alongside her. We entered and sat ourselves down at one of the tables with the best air conditioner. I didn't engage in much conversation with Luna as I sat to read with my phone, with her probably doing the same thing.
"I found this new comic the other day," Luna suddenly said, gaining my attention. "You wanna try it?"
"What's it called?" I asked, locking my phone before putting it down on the table.
Luna smiled slightly as she showed me her phone. "My Secret Boyfriend. It may seem like a rom-com, but it's actually a thriller. You should read it sometime."
"Indeed I will," I smiled. "What did you say the name was? Secret Boyfriend?"
"My Secret Boyfriend," Luna corrected. "It's available in our usual platform. Just look it up."
I nodded. "I'll do it right now."
And I did. I immediately picked my phone up again and searched it up. I quickly found it, the manga having more than a hundred parts, which is a really good thing. More for me to read.
"Also, thanks for the chocolates, Luna," I said, placing my phone down after adding the manga to my library. "It must've costed lots, such a big box!"
Luna shrugged. "It's nothing. I'm glad you liked them."
The library doors opened and in came Kayla, Lydia, Priscilla, and Barbara, the four of them cheerfully waving as they came over to our table.
"So, the two of you have been getting along?" Barbara said as she slipped into the seat beside mine.
I nodded. "Yeah, kinda."
"What have you two been talking about?" Priscilla grinned as she sat down beside Barbara.
"Just some manga," Luna said, a slight smile on her face.
"Nice!" Kayla smiled, then turned excited. "Anyway, I'm having a party this Saturday. You guys wanna come?"
"Oh, your birthday?" I said.
Kayla grinned, nodding. "Yeah! I'll send you the invite shortly. It has my address and stuff."
"Ah," I said and started telling her my number, but Barbara stopped me.
"It's fine, I'll send your number to Kayla," Barbara said, touching my arm before turning to Kayla. "Kayla, check your phone."
Kayla nodded and took her phone out. Within seconds, I received an invitation from a number I didn't recognise which was definitely Kayla.
"There, I sent it," she said. "You're gonna come?"
I zoomed in on the invitation to look at the address. "Hmm... your place is near Spinner's Hill. That's really near where I live."
"It is? Great!" Kayla grinned. "So you'll be coming?"
"Uh..." I'm so not gonna go, but I better not tell her that now. "I'll confirm with you later?"
"Sure," Kayla nodded before turning to the rest. "You guys coming?"
"I am!" Priscilla cheerfully raised her hand.
"Me too," Lydia smiled, waving.
"What's a party without me?" Barbara smirked, playfully flipping her hair slightly.
There was only Luna left, to whom we all turned to. Luna shrugged and smiled. "Fine, I'll come."
"Yay!" Kayla cheered. "So excited to see you guys."
I so don't want to deal with a party right now. I already have lots of other things to deal with. But maybe, I should ask the rest and see what they think first. I'm sure they'll disagree after finding out it's from my notoriously 'problematic' recess group.