The Hearing

We arrived at the courtyard and found Charles already waiting outside. He came to us as soon as we came up, a slight smile on his face.
"You're better now, Charlie?" He asked, looking at me.
I nodded. "It feels a lot better after breakfast."
"Maybe you should get it checked just in case," Charles suggested.
I shook my head. "I'm sure it's nothing, I spent like two minutes with the smoke before breaking out of there. It's prolonged exposure that's bad."
"Freddy said that twenty minutes was enough..." Charles shuddered slightly.
"In an airtight room with no ventilation," Mom added. "Just in case, we'll bring her over to the doctor later."
I don't think that's necessary, especially since airborne poisons usually take effect immediately and will stop as soon as we get to safety.
"Guys, I'm fine, I'm not having any symptoms," I said. "Poisonous smoke will leave its mark and take effect immediately. But I'm not in exposure to it right now, so I'm fine."
Someone came up and told us that we can enter the court room now.

"Charles Foreman filed for divorce to end his marriage with Christine Gonzalo," the judge said. "And you are both capable of representing yourselves?"
"Yes," both Mom and Charles nodded to that statement.
"Alright," the judge nodded. "It appears that Mrs Foreman disagreed with the divorce during the counselling session." He turned to Mom. "May I ask why?"
Mom sighed. "I thought I could... I could have things go back to the way it used to be. I thought we can go back to loving each other, go back to being a family, but it realised that it wasn't good for our children. It wasn't good for my mental health as well."
"You agree and accept this divorce wholeheartedly?"
Mom nodded. "I do. I agree and accept this divorce wholeheartedly."
The judge nodded and turned to Charles, who stood watching Mom in surprise. "Ms Christine agrees for this divorce. What say you?"
"I... I agree with it as well," Charles nodded, his eyes downcast. "I agree and accept this divorce. Wholeheartedly."
"It's... it's finally happening," Chris nudged me, earning my attention. "But why is it so... meh..."
I groaned. "Were you expecting some drama?"
Chris shrugged and went back to watching what the judge had to say.
"Alright, I will grant custody of your two younger children, Christopher Foreman and Charlotte Foreman, to their mother," the judge said. "Charles Foreman will still have to fund Christine Gonzalo on child support until they have reached adulthood."
Charles gazed at us, then nodded dolefully. "I accept." What's with the sudden long face? This is what he wanted, wasn't it?
"I don't," Mom piped up. "I agree to have custody of the children, but I would like to request not having Charles pay me in child support as I am perfectly capable of funding my children."
"But, Christie—" Charles began but was quickly cut off.
"Charles, it's fine," Mom shook her head. "I don't need your money to raise the children. You don't even see us as people anymore, what's the point?"
Charles looked at her in surprise, his quivering lips agape.
"For the past three months, my children have been living with me, with no troubles whatsoever," Mom went on. "We had a birthday party for our youngest, they were enrolled into new schools, and have all been eating healthy."
Mom's really in to get back at Charles and I don't blame her. He treated her worse than he would treat dirt. He stared at Mom in shock at her outburst, and is that a teardrop glistening down his cheek?
"Dude, he's crying!" Chris gasped, pulling me close by the shoulder while his other hand pointed straight at Charles. "Boo! Charles!"
The judge shushed him, looking slightly amused himself. He jotted something down and turned to Charles. "What do you say for all of that? Your son is booing at you, Mr Foreman."
"I am not his son no more, Your Honour!" Chris called back.
I couldn't help but snort at that. This Chris... he's got the power to even turn a stoic court setting into a comedy scene.
Charles shook his head, trembling slightly. "No. I disagree. I agree that Christie has been doing a great job managing the kids, she is a great mom and a great wife." The judge looked at him in surprise. "But I feel the need to pay her for all the things I've done to her and the children."
The judge looked surprised when Charles hid his face behind his hands and turned away. "Mr Charles, it was you who applied for this divorce. Do you still agree with it?"
Charles turned back to the judge and nodded, looking a little uncomfortable. "Yes. I do. I have done lots of things for them to hate me. I don't want them to put up with it anymore."
The judge turned back to Mom. "What say you?"
"No comment," Mom shook her head and crossed her arms. "It wasn't me who applied for this divorce, but there isn't anyone else who wants it more than I do now."
Whoa, Mom. But she's right though. What we all want now is for Charles to get out of our hair. But why is he acting like this now? Didn't the sight of us make his skin crawl? Doesn't he see us as monstrous beasts who even feast on humans? Why all the tears now? Did I accidentally scare him last night into agreeing?
I gasped. Did I do something in my sleep? Did I try to attack him? But wait a second, I don't think I did. He was peacefully asleep when I woke up this morning. He even finished the love letters I gave him.
"Is everything alright?" Chris asked.
"Why?" I asked back.
"You were like," he gasped to demonstrate before turning back to me. "What's that about?"
"Oh..." I chuckled. "I thought I may have scared Charles last night, maybe that's why he's acting strange."
"Nah, you didn't," Chris snorted. "Maybe he just bonked his head somewhere."
"That's a possibility," Charlene added.
The judge sighed, shaking his head. "This divorce will go nowhere if one of you are in an emotionally vulnerable state." He looked at the time. "It is nearly lunchtime, and I suggest a one-hour recess for both parties to collect themselves. For all we know, it may just be hunger taking its toll." He laughed at the joke, to which no one else did. "Alright, the court will resume at exactly two o'clock."
And with that, we were dismissed. Charles silently got off the dock, rather awkwardly, while Mom instantly made a beeline for us.
"Let's go," Mom said, taking my arm. "What should we have for lunch?"
None of us said anything, though we all had our suggestions. We quietly exited the court room and made our way to the parking lot to get the car. But the questions still stand.
What is wrong with Charles? Why is he acting like that? What will become of the divorce? Are we gonna go back to Charles? Or are we gonna continue living with Mom? Or will it happen as Chris had feared? Will we be split apart? Will one of us be forced to live with Charles while one would stay with Mom?
And one more.
What should we have for lunch?