Chapter 12: GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT

CHAPTER 12
GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT

The Raft

Inside a small room, Wanda sat opposite of Val as she began questioning her. Wanda was physically and emotionally torn apart. She had no energy left in her body and she was starving of thirst. Her entire body was in pain from the 4 hour treatment she received, but her heart was in even more pain, and her dignity destroyed. Her body was trembling slightly for multiple reasons.

Val: I gotta say... I'm impressed. Of all the years I've worked at the CIA, Damage Control, FBI, Special Forces, the Thunderbolt program... I have never... seen any act this graphic or horrifying in my life. And I witnessed the Sentry tear through my Agents like they were nothing.

Wanda was extremely confused and frightened. She knew exactly what this woman was referring to, but she knew for a fact it wasn't her. It couldn't have been her, could it? But she also thought about the dream she had just a few moments before that happened, which made her doubt her own mind.

Val: Look, we both know you're guilty. The whole world knows it by now, and even the little supporters you garnered with your "hero" act... They're all aware of the truth now too. But Unfortunately I received a call this morning from HQ. Apparently it is still mandatory for all super-powered individuals to have a fair trial no matter the level of danger they pose, as stated by a new bill from the Superhuman Law division. However, due to the nature of your powers and the danger it poses... Bail will not be granted during these proceedings.

Wanda was silent and mentally not present.

Val: Do you understand?

She didn't say a thing.

Val: Nod if you understand.

Wanda nodded slightly.

Val put multiple images on the table one by one. These images were of the brutal scene at S.W.O.R.D, showing Wanda at the center of it all. Taking the lives of everyone in the room showing no restraints.

Val: How do you sleep at night? How is this, the same person as... This!

She threw another image on the table of Wanda rescuing people from the burning building.

Val: What did you gain, trying to fake this "hero" act? Hmm?

Wanda looked at the images at S.W.O.R.D and her entire body went into shock when she saw herself killing those people. She tried to defend herself, but her words couldn't form a sentence. Her voice was barely working from screaming for hours, and she couldn't help but stutter as she spoke.

Wanda: That... that wasn't... me! I... No it c-couldn't be... I can't... I...

Val: It's not you?

Val pointed to the images of the bloodbath at S.W.O.R.D that clearly showed Wanda doing it.

Val: That's not you!? Even in chains, with hard evidence in front of you, you're still in denail.

Wanda: I... I... No this isn't real. This isn't happening... S-something i-is wrong! What's going on!!!

She closed her eyes and shook her head.

Wanda: I don't belong in here! It w-wasn't me! You have to believe me! You don't know wh... what they do to me... I... Please. At least let me call my Husband.