Chapter 9: NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED

CHAPTER 9
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED

The Raft
Supermax prison

The RaftSupermax prison

3:40 AM (at night)

The helicopter's blades echoed through the desolate air as it descended towards the ominous structure known as the Raft, a supermax prison surrounded by the ocean. The Raft could be seen ascending from under the deep sea into open air. Wanda sat in the corner of the vehicle, completely drained of energy. Her eyes seemed dark and tired because of being drugged, but she still had full consciousness of everything around her. She felt the cold grip of fear tighten around her heart. Wanda was in utter distraught, anguish and confusion.

As the helicopter touched down, Wanda's breaths became shallow, anxiety gripping her with each passing second. She knows full well what this place is. A cruel, forsaken hell, reserved for only the worst of the worst. Serial killers, sadists, 'world enders'... monsters. The idea that they saw her in that light shattered her heart to a million pieces and she had no idea why she was brought here in the first place. The agents led her towards the entrance, their stern expressions only amplified Wanda's emotional turmoil. The heavy metal doors creaked open, revealing the cold interior of the Raft.

The corridors seemed endless, the cold, sterile walls closing in on her. Wanda's mind raced with thoughts of her children, where they might be and who wrote those words on the window. Panic surged through her veins as the realization hit her like a truck. The realization of her new reality. Was this her home now? Away from everything and everyone? Being treated less than an animal in a hell hole underneath the ocean? She secretly tried using her powers, but to no avail. Whatever she was drugged with, caused her mind to be unable to use any abilities.

Wanda: (whispers) What have you done with my children? Why am I here?

The guards remained silent, their impassive gazes offering no comfort. Wanda's eyes darted around, searching for any sign of her sons, but the sterile surroundings provided no solace.

They came to a standstill in a room where she was ordered to stand in front of a striped white background to get her picture taken.