The Choice

Hey everyone! I'm excited to be back writing and have a full outline prepared for this story. Your support means the world to me, so please feel free to comment your thoughts as you read along. It always keeps me laughing!

————

Michael gets dressed putting on a grey hoodie and some joggers and follows them outside of Janet's apartment building footsteps.

Some old drunk MF was sitting there out of it. He wasn't homeless though.

Michael shoved him twice with his boot to signal him to get up.

"Nigga move.." Michael muffled with a blunt in between his lips.

He stared at him until he got up.

Wade and them waiting for Michael to do whatever he was trying to do. Patience thinning for sure.

Michael sat down unfazed and lit the blunt waiting for the smoke to escape his lips.

"What do you want Wade?" he says in a low tone.

He wished he didn't run into this foul son of a bitch. They had been friends in high school and this dude has always been slimey toward him.

The same reason he got caught up.

"Welcome home my nigga, you have been out for some days now right?"

Wade said sparking up a conversation.

Michael stayed silent, letting the gas pass through looking off into the distance.

"What the fuck y'all want-

Mel tries to pull something out from his back with a look of intimidation.

Wade chuckles and backhands Mel in his stomach to stop him from moving. Michael raised his eyebrow.

"You ain't been locked up that long to forget who the fuck you're talking to."

He meant it, Wade ran corners. He had people and most of the neighborhood was afraid of him. Michael used to roll with him but Wade was never his friend.

Michael finished and stood up, eyebrows furrowed over in a scowl, hands in his pocket.

"Nigga you owe me money."

"Yeah.." Michael spits on the ground next to Wade.

"And a fucking gun."

"Where the fuck am I going to find a gun."

"Nigga don't ask no stupid question, you knew how to get one before."

Michael sighed. He promised Janet he'd stay out of trouble and not get back into trouble.

"Look, man... I can't"

"You ain't got a choice," Wade says pulling out his gun and holding it out in front of him.

Michael rolled his eyes.

"Man.. listen" Michael rubs the back of his head. "I'll do a couple of corners and see what I can do."

"A couple of corners?" Wade scoffed. "Nigga you owe a couple of grand after that stupid shit you pulled."

"What are you yapping about?" Michael's nonchalant demeanor thickened.

"You're dumbass sold my shit to cop... Do you think Ima let you on my corners with my shit again? I lost 45 grand because of you little nigga." He raises his gun pointing it into Michael's side.

Michael did make the mistake but it wasn't his fault entirely. He was left on the corner by himself with no lookout.

Doug laughs teasingly easing the tension. Michael's eyes pans over to him.

"What was the pen like little bro?" Doug grinned

Michael smiled seemingly annoyed. He pushes the gun away.

"Don't be so dramatic, I can make that back"

Michael finally agrees.

"I saw your moms in the hospital, and I'd hate for her to see her son dead before she passes," Wade smirks.

"I said I'll get you your fucking money, now get the fuck out of my face... we not cool" Michael boldly warned.

Wade and the crew just chuckled.

"Right... just remember that if you can't handle the street, stay the fuck in the house with your fine ass sister baby boy." He yells as they tease. Michael sucks his teeth going back into the building.

Michael walks back inside filled with rage and slams the door behind him.

Lola is standing in the kitchen scrolling through her phone, startled by the sudden action.

"How do you know him?" Michael questions

She sighs.

"Shouldn't I be asking why he came looking for you?"

"The nigga came here for you, the fuck." His face bunches up in irritation.

"Well he didn't pull me out for a fucking conversation now did he?"

Michael sits on the couch and groans in disdain.

"Look.." he pauses.

"I used to deal.."

"Oh, I would have never guessed." He shot her a look of dead eyes.

She folds her arms.

"Is that what you were in jail for.."

"Yeah.." he shakes his head sitting up and resting his elbows on his thighs.

"Wow, you're stupid.." She scoffed walking away.

"What?" he says.

"Your mother is in the hospital and your sister is struggling and you're thinking about selling again aren't you-

"You sound stupid as fuck right now. Like I said you don't know jack shit about my family." He turns his attention toward her on the couch. She spoke from her room.

"I had to drop out of school to take care of my family when our shitty ass father left us stranded... My mom could not work in her condition, I started dealing to help out with bills, you think I had a choice? It was either homeless or- He stopped himself.

"You know what, you ain't listening."

He sucked his teeth. He hated feeling vulnerable in the moment was annoyed as fuck at this point. He ain't have to explain shit to her he thought. He's gonna do what he gotta do.

"Michael..-

He forcefully shuts the door and exits through the front entrance, abruptly cutting off any chance for her to speak further. It marked the initial occasion she truly gained insight into his character.

—————————
Looking forward to the upcoming chapter, hope you'll enjoy it!