Chapter 6.3 - The Cyber Witch Strikes Again

Start from the beginning

I made a rash decision and defied Zach's instructions. Flipping through the data like a hard-copy magazine, I copied everything and stored it within my cybernetics. While perhaps futile, I hoped the information will allow me to create a cure for the nano-bots.

As if not enough, I uncovered a compact piece of tracking software that I had not planted. It wasn't in the core, rather it resided in the data feed router. The code was ingenious, recording who accessed the data and what they did with it, but not copying the data itself, then immediately transmitted the information hidden within normally innocuous status communications. Someone at Omni-Corp headquarters spied on the researchers.

But most troubling to me, the software had already recorded my incursion.

My diagnostic tool, which really wasn't, continued its ruse, purging the worms I had minutes ago nefariously inserted. Zoe seemed pleased with the progress as displayed on the holographic displays.

"I think we've got it, Zoe," I said with a misleading smile. "We'll let the cleanup finish and you should be good to go."

When my program finished, I stood and put on a false smile. "We did it, Zoe," I exclaimed. "Everything is squeaky clean now."

Or will be, I thought to myself. Within an hour, all data will have been scrubbed. Now to make a safe exit. I picked up my com-viewer and sent Zach a simple message: It is done.

Zach replied: Good. Let's get out of here.

"Mr. Green is impatient to leave," I huffed, rolling my eyes. "Take me back, Zoe?"

"Okay," Zoe replied. I gulped when she added, "Thanks so much, Avia."

Few people occupied the plaza as we passed through, which seemed ominous. I spun around. Maybe it was nothing... Just stay calm, I told myself as my heart rate increased.

Zoe and I were the first to arrive at the conference room. After a beep, Zoe put her com-viewer to her ear. "I can't talk now--" she answered, but then her eyes widened and she gasped. "Are you sure?" She paused to listen. "This can't be. I mean, we just--" Zoe sucked in a breath and accusing eyes turned up to me.

My lips pulled tight and guilty heat radiated from my cheeks.

"Avia, what had you done?" Zoe accused, eyes burning. "There is a catastrophic core failure, and everyone is locked out."

"I'm sorry, Zoe," I replied, dipping my head. "But you don't know how evil Project Asclepius is. What Omni-Corp plans to do with the nano-bots."

"Who are you?" Zoe hissed, narrowing eyes and baring teeth. "Never mind. I'm calling security."

Zoe stretched a finger toward her com-viewer, but it never touched. A sharp pop made me flinch as bright orange sparks burst across Zoe's back. I gasped as Zoe's eyes rolled up and she folded to the floor. Her collapse revealed Greta holding out a rod-shaped plasma blaster, blue eyes narrowed to slits.

"Zoe!" I cried out, collapsing to my knees and gathering her stilled body in my arms. A blackened hole in her back smoldered and the stench of burned flesh scratched my throat. Zoe's vacant eyes held no sign of life.

I turned up watery eyes. "Why, Greta? You didn't have to kill her. I could have blocked her com."

Greta answered with a huff, and she lowered the blaster. Stone burst into the room carrying a similar plasma weapon and came to Greta's side. His face showed no reaction to the death before him.

"Go to the ship and get ready for departure," Greta ordered. "I'll take care of things here."

"Five minutes!" Stone barked as he scurried away. "Then we leave with you or without you."