Chapter 6.3 - The Cyber Witch Strikes Again

[Avia]

Since Zoe watched on a mirrored terminal, I had to be careful. But by processing the mirror output with my cybernetics to hide my nefarious actions, it would appear to her to be only routine diagnostic work. Hopefully.

File structures flashed across the holographic display until I found what I looked for.

"Here we go," I said. "I'm going to launch your routine diagnostic program, but piggyback mine on top of it. Then we'll cross-reference the results." I didn't tell her my diagnostic program was more like a spy, seeking out an enemy's vulnerability.

As code and diagnostic output flittered in mid-air, I asked, "Did you ever figure out where the cyber-attack came from?"

"It came in attached to routine com updates, but we have no idea who did it," Zoe replied. "The worms were self-replicating and adaptive, causing all kinds of chaos to station systems, but they never penetrated the core. Have to admit, it was clever coding."

Inwardly, I took pleasure at her compliment. "Well, hopefully there are no hibernating worms."

Oh, but there will be...

The core AI was smart, one of the most sophisticated I had ever seen. It handled the data like a tight-fisted banker managed money, checking each transaction while validating every user. Carrying that analogy further, every deposit or withdrawal was documented, and the genetic identity of every customer was validated. Also, the AI acted like a perpetual bank auditor, assuring regulation compliance.

As the diagnostics continued, I confirmed the existence and addresses of the dual data backup systems. These operated independently and outside of user control.

This would not be easy. I couldn't simply erase the data en masse while mimicking a validated user, because the backup systems would continue to hold historical records. Also, the AI was smart enough to realize something was up. I needed a different approach.

Zoe pointed when a red warning message appeared on my diagnostic program. "There are more worms. But why didn't the local diagnostics pick it up?"

"Interesting," I replied with a hand to chin. I knew why, since I just re-inserted the worms myself in the wake of her diagnostic program. "I wonder... Could your diagnostics themselves be infected?"

Zoe expanded the thought like I hoped. "And act like a disease carrier? That's diabolical."

"We need to disable the system diagnostics before the core becomes infected, if it isn't already."

As Zoe logged in with her administrator identity, scanning her genetics as a passcode, I hitched along with my cybernetics and changed her profile to me. Foul guilt soured my gut. Zoe was a decent person and in no way involved in the mind-altering research, but I used her.

Now, I could enslave the station AI to destroy the data Zoe was entrusted to protect.

The AI continually audited the research data and backed it up. Using my cybernetics, I located the appropriate code and modified the auditing function, forcing the AI to overwrite the data with every check. I also altered the backup systems to do the same. Then, I locked out everyone else from the AI.

One more thing to do — I parsed through the non-technical data and copied several incriminating documents, then, as per plan, I used my cybernetic implants and transmitted them to a dedicated com-receiver aboard the Sable.

As I flipped through the documents, one sent electric tingles down my spine. The mind-altering research was further along than we knew, and limited trials of the nano-bots had already begun. Possibly, we came too late.