Chapter 8.2 - Worst Landing Ever

[Zach]

The crash happened in surreal slow-motion, as if I watched from afar.

A deafening boom and the screeching crunch of ripping plas-steel. Thrown forward, grunting pain as the chair restraint straps compressed my torso, pushing air from my lungs. We plowed through the surf, creating walls of water that surged over the ship.

Icy shocks pulsed through my shaken consciousness. And a thousand life images flickered across my mind in rapid motion — childhood scenes, teenage rebellions, days of bounty hunting, and Avia. Then darkness.

My swirling mind woke to dim silence — whether a second or a day had passed, I did not know. Thoughts stumbled over each other as I tried to make sense of it all. Rising cold water that splashed across my legs jolted me to reality.

Avia!

Limp arms at her side, Avia's head bowed down, chin nearly at her chest. Tossled dark hair shrouded a stilled face. As dread surged through me, I flung off my restraints, then lifted her chin. Almost imperceptibly, she let out a shallow moan, and warm breath brushed my hand. My heart lifted — she was still alive.

The shuttle pitched down, sloping the deck forward, and musky cold water rushed in, now over my knees. First removing her seat restraints, I lifted Avia into my arms and brought her to my chest.

"How 'bout we get out of here?" I muttered. Avia responded with a moan and looped an arm around my neck.

Partially buoyant, the shuttle rocked in the waves, and trudging uphill through the water proved difficult as I carried Avia toward the stern. With the water rising, the docking hatch seemed to take forever to swing open, revealing a new world of gray granite, fierce winds, and frothing surf. With a deep breath, I slid into the waves and did my best to hold Avia's head above the water. Gasping, the icy cold shocked my mind and body.

Fortunately, the shore was not far. I swam, Avia in tow, until I found footing. Collapsing with her in my arms, I laid back on smooth, dark pebbles and sucked in deep breaths of alien air. The sea gave it a damp musky essence.

Avia stirred, lifting her head, and widened amber eyes stared blankly at me.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

Her mouth opened, but no words came out. I supposed her cybernetics took a jolt and, hopefully, would take a few moments to reset.

"Let's just rest a bit." I said, bringing her head down against my shoulder.

"Mmm..." she hummed in reply.

After a few minutes, Avia took a deep breath, and whispered, "That was the worst landing ever." She tilted her head up to place a tingling kiss on my wet cheek. "But I am grateful."

"My worst, too." I helped Avia up to a sitting position, steadying her with an arm around her waist. "Are you hurt anywhere?" I asked.

She stretched and tilted her head back and forth, grimacing. "Shaken and banged up, but I think I will be okay." She cast her eyes around. "So, this is Eden?"

"Not exactly paradise."

Propelled by stiff cool winds, foamy waves crashed against the shore, crawling up the beach toward us, then backing away in rhythmic dance. The blue water had tints of greens and browns, which I suspected was because of algae-like organisms. Wave smoothed fallen boulders led to a high cliff a hundred-meters inland, and far beyond that, sharp snow-topped mountains poked at the sky. The only other signs of life were scattered blue-green crusts on some rocks that resembled lichen, small patches of reddish-green ferns, and tiny black eight-legged creatures that skittered away.