Chapter 8 - Hot Chocolate

Although Cheleb had said they would visit the kitchen together, right now Ain was sitting alone on a table in the kitchen.

To be honest he was not alone since on the other side of the room the chef of the estate, Maia, was preparing something, but the silence in the room made him feel alone.

Once the lively Cheleb had left a few minutes ago, no words were spoken between him and Maia.

Ain was unsure what to do.

He was not good with words, so no matter how hard he thought no appropriate topic to talk about appeared in his mind, so he could only sit here in silence.

Just as he had mustered up the courage to ask her how long she already worked here, the woman handed him something.

"Be careful, it's still hot.", she said.

"Thank you."

Ain carefully took what was given to him and put it down on the table in front of him.

At the same time, Maia placed another plate on the table.

The air was filled with a scent of sweetness.

Unable to hold back his curiosity, Ain took a sip from the mug that Maia had previously handed him.

"Mhm!", surprised by the taste Ain exclaimed.

"It's really delicious what is it called?"

Powerless to resist the tasty drink Ain continued to sip.

Only when he saw that the previous indifference had been replaced with shock in Maia's soul could he stop.

Did he say something wrong?

After a while, she answered him.

"Hot chocolate. It's called Hot chocolate. Have you-", she paused, "Have you never tasted this before?"

"No... It's my first time. Is there something wrong with that?", he asked cautiously.

Ain watched as shock turned into pity.

Why did she pity him?

Just because he had never drunk hot chocolate before?

Weird.

She sighed.

"Kid, if you liked the hot chocolate then you have to try my pie.", with this she pushed the plate with the pie closer to Ain and put a fork in his hand.

He reluctantly put down the cup with the hot chocolate and tried the pie.

Even if Ain wanted to describe the taste of the pie he would simply be unable to as he did not know any suitable words.

The only thing he could say was, "It tastes delicious Miss!"

The other sighed again.

"Then eat more, you are far too skinny", after a pause she added, "Also just call me Maia, no need to be formal kid."

Ain could only respond with a nod as he was busy eating.

Only when he had eaten every last crumb did he stop.

"Do you make all the food in the estate?"

"Yeah."

"Wow. I always wanted to give my thanks to the chef for their delicious cooking, so thank you!"

"Ha!", Maia laughed. "My food surely can't compare to what is served in the capital."

Ain shook his head to disagree, at least compared to what he had eaten before, the food here was miles better.