Chapter 7 - The Old Tree

Time was passing slowly as Ain was sitting all alone in the Duke's office.

After Cheleb and he had finished their estate tour, Ain was dressed meticulously by Cheleb to quote 'impress the Master'.

Although he wanted to tell the other that such attempts were futile, in the end, he couldn't bring it over his heart to stop Cheleb's enthusiasm.

Once he was dressed Cheleb led Ain to the Duke's office, where he was now sitting on a comfortable couch.

When they came Muscae had told them that the Duke was still busy somewhere else in the estate but he would hurry to meet him.

With these words, Muscae and Cheleb left him here.

Curious about the Duke's office he let his gaze wander around the room.

All the auras and lights almost blinded Ain.

Nearly everything in close approximately was shining.

Ain got dazed.

Although he didn't understand much about the world, one thing he had learned the hard way.

Things with aura were rare and very expensive.

And the Duke had a whole room full of them?!

Even the couch he was sitting on had a faint aura to it.

Not even his father was rich enough to own so many, he had maybe four or five in his possession!

Ain was at a loss for words at this blatant display of wealth.

But soon his sight was caught by something else.

On his left side, behind all the man-made crafts, was a gigantic aura.

It was full of life and vitality, and one thing Ain knew for sure it was very old.

He got up from the couch and started walking towards, what Ain guessed was a tree.

Since no tree would grow inside the building, the tree had to be part of the garden.

Ain wondered if he should ask the Duke if they could visit it.

Just when he had almost reached his goal, his hip bumped into something with full force and a loud crash could be heard.

He must have run into the desk, Ain thought

He turned his eyes towards the place where the sound was previously heard while holding his aching hip.

Once he understood the chaos he had caused Ain's face lost all color.

A dark aura was spreading out all over the desk.

Ain guessed that he had made the ink bottle fall over, but since the ink was full of aura, it had to be very valuable.

His hands began to shake as he frantically tried to clean up the ink, only to notice that many pieces of paper got soiled by it.

Ain felt his heart drop to his stomach.

Just as everything was going well he had to ruin it. Like always.

What if the Duke got angry at him for ruining some important documents and most importantly his precocious ink?

No.

There was no 'what if'. He would surely get angry once he saw this mess.

He wouldn't lock him into a small chamber, would he?

Ain's breathing became heavy.

He didn't want to go there again.

Then he heard the door open.