"What happened?" She asks. Her bright green eyes are open wide, and I fight to keep from getting lost in them.

"One of the droids beat you up, I think. Do you remember anything?" She nods slowly, as if it hurts to move. "What happened?"

"I was going to practice early, and when I arrived there was a droid standing in the middle of the room. I thought that you may have set it out for me." My stomach drops. I most certainly did not set out a droid for her: so who did? "As soon as I started fighting it, it wigged out. It picked me up and threw me across the room, then it started beating me until I went unconscious ... Pretty weak, huh?"

Droids are never supposed to pick up and throw their target! Rage builds within me slowly. How could Enna -- of all people -- believe that she's weak? Every night I find myself admiring the hidden strength infused in her every movement, the awareness and wisdom behind every gesture. All of the signs lead to one answer: someone is specifically targeting Enna. They must be.

"Are you kidding me? Someone tampered with that droid!"

"What?" Enna's face portrays complete disbelief. It surprises me that we both hadn't reached the same conclusion.

"You said it was sitting in the middle of the room when you got there? And it picked you up and threw you?" She nods and I can't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"I'd think someone labeled a spy would have better critical thinking skills," I joke.

"Well excuse me for not using them while I was having my head bashed into the ground!" She's angry now. I wish I could understand girls ... Especially this one.

"I was joking," I mutter, staring into her eyes. To my joy, she stares back, her gaze softening. It feels like we're both trying to communicate to each other some sort of unspoken message. You're not weak. In fact, you're the strongest person I know, I tell her. And it's true. I know what it's like to live in the city. I know what it's like to be thrust into a new world, a new world of which you still don't quite belong. I know --

"She's awake!" We both whip our heads around as Hope walks towards us. I look down at my knees, embarrassed.

"You'd better take those for the pain. But be warned: they will make you sleepy." I hear the cling of a glass hitting the tabletop, then Hope rushes off again. Enna quickly takes her pills then stares down at her hands. Before the silence swallows us whole, I fish around for something to talk about.

"What hurts the most?"

"Um, my leg ..." She says awkwardly, pointing the the middle of her thigh. I lean forward in my chair and reach my hand outward, holding the ice against the indicated spot. I'm distinctly aware of how close our faces are -- I can feel Enna's quick breaths on my cheek -- but I don't dare redirect my gaze from the ice pack.

"Why ... Uh, why did you stay?" She asks slowly. The question is so strange that I can't help but glance at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you stay here with me?" My heart starts to beat annoyingly fast, and she giggles a little. What do I say?

The truth. Or, at least, part of it.

"I wanted to make sure you recovered smoothly." If I stare at the ice pack any more intensely, I'm afraid that it will melt. Enna lays back on the bed as her hands brush over the pillow. She smiles dreamily.

"What a comfortable pillow," she yawns. "Kind of like sheep feathers, or something like that."

What? Like a shot to the forehead, I realize that Enna doesn't know what she's saying. The pills Hope gave her are clouding her judgement. Relieved, I laugh out loud. Enna begins to laugh obnoxiously beside me, her head falling to the side.

"You have a nice laugh," she mumbles, smiling at me. I start to feel a warmth in my fingers, despite the fact that I clutch a bag of ice. She stares at the plain white ceiling intensely, as though she sees something there. What do I say?

"Um ... Thank you?"

"Hey Matthew?" She rolls her head towards me lazily, and I can tell by her heavy movements that she's falling asleep.

"Hmm?"

"I like you," she whispers, like it's a secret. And maybe it is: one that she's kept for a long time. Pain strikes my gut, and I want to tell her that I feel the same way. I want to tell her that I can't stop thinking about her. I want to tell her everything: but every time I'm about to work up the courage, I see my father's face, I feel his cruelty, I remember his power. I know that I could never harm Enna by associating her further with that monster.

Not wanting to hurt her feelings, I force myself to smile.

"Yeah. I like you too, Enna."

"Does that mean we're together now?" She whispers, her eyes closing. I know that she's speeding off towards unconsciousness, but I still struggle with an answer. Most of me hopes that Enna has no clue of what she's saying, that the pills are the ones talking. But there's a small part of me that desperately wishes she's speaking from a sound mind.

"I'm sorry." I reply, brushing the loose strand of hair from her face.