Chapter 10:

Dex's POV:

"So, since no one else is going to ask," I say, breaking the awkward silence that just lingered in the air for 2 minutes and 49 seconds, "Who do you think is on Fitz's list?"

Biana lights up at the chance to create theories about her brother.

"Ok so-"

Keefe cuts her off, "I think we all know it's going to be Linh or Maruca." You could tell he was joking, but it still unleashed an argument worthy of human TV.

"First of all-" Biana shouts out before getting cut off by Tam.

"It is DEFINITELY not Linh!"

Biana gives him an epic side-eye before attempting to continue. "It has GOT to be-"

This time, Sophie and Keefe cut in, both saying, "MARELLA FOR SURE!"

I choke on my words at this. Marella and Fitz, I most definitely can not see. She doesn't seem like the type to be with the kind of person he is so I say, "Definitely not-"

Biana holds her hands up in attempt to say something. "NO, IT HAS TO BE-"

Tam's turn. "If anything, it's definitely-"

"STINA!"

We all turn to look at Biana, her outburst surprising us. She looks non-plussed by our obvious gaping.

"Stina?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

Biana rolls her eyes at me as if to say, That's what I said. Sophie looks at her. "Out of all people, I didn't expect you to say Stina."

Biana shrugs. "I was just thinking about Empaths and Telepaths going together like you and Keefe, so I thought, 'Empath.... Stina. Telepath... My idiotic brother!'" Keefe and I stiffle a laugh at this. Wonderboy would definitely not approve. Biana continues, "I also vaguely remember me, Stina, and Sophie talking about Soph and Fitz, and Stina was going on about my brother like he's such a dreamboat."

She huffs at this and then Sophie goes, "Oh wait, I remember that! Stina was saying, "It's Fitz Freaking Vacker" or something and going on about how I was lucky and stuff."

Keefe raises an eyebrow at this and Sophie corrects herself in a remindful tone, tilting her head towards him in an endearing manner, "I'm luckier now than I was then."

She earned herself a famous Keefe Sencen smirk.

"I still doubt that Stina will be on his list," I interrupt the moment, "I mean, Stina's kind of sour about people."

This earns me a famous Biana Vacker eye-roll/ huff combo.

"I'm with Dex on this one," Tam agrees, "Stina may be my sister's friend, but that attitude is just downright-" He finishes his sentence with a slight shudder.

Biana opens her mouth the argue but Tam puts a finger to her mouth, shutting her up. "I'm just going to stop you right there. No more Stina x Fitz speculation."

The glare is almost as epic as her side-eyes. Yet, somehow it seems to lessen with Tam as he slowly brings his arm down. "Sophie, did you and Keefe ever register for the Match?" I ask, wanting to change the subject after that seemingly tense moment between Biana and Tam. But, I'm trying to end the speculation, not add to it.

"Nah, we're in the 'Too Cool For You' club," Keefe leans back, relaxing into the joke, "Haven't you heard? It's where all the complications go!"

Sophie stiffles a giggle and Biana and Tam chuckle. I go ahead and grin widely at this. "Count me in," I say.

"So you decided not to register either?" Sophie questions and I nod. "Matchmaking's just too..." I pause to think of the right words, "Dramatic and 'Doom and gloom'-y."

Biana nods along to my surprise.

"What about you guys?" I ask Tam and Biana, "Are you two registering?"

Tam nods slowly, while Biana sighs, "I get the struggles, but it's still something I used to look forward too. While I see what's so bad about it, I'm still going to. Is it wrong to hope for something good to come out of something so familiar?"

Sophie get up so fast, I thought she was going to fall, especially when she head-on ran right after getting up. She runs to Biana and engulfs her in a tight hug. "You don't have to not register. You see what's wrong, so the acknowledgement should be enough to not be guilt-tripped into something you don't want to do." Sophie says these words with such need, like she can't believe Biana could ever feel guilty for something like that. "It's never wrong to hope for good things."

Biana smiles softly and Keefe starts applauding slowly. I join in reluctantly, but Tam decides to slink back.

When the girls are done with their heartfelt moment, I ask Tam, "You're going to register as well?"

Tam shrugs. "What's the harm? If I don't like anyone on my lists, the council can go whine about it if I decide to be a bad match."

I catch Biana smirking out of the corner of my eye, right before it disappears.

Is something going on that we aren't aware about between Tam and Biana?