Chapter 5:

Dex's POV:

And there she goes again. 

I hear a loud blast come from beside me where Sophie is seated and I shake my head as I catch sight of flames curling up her arm. She hurries to fling it off, swinging her arm around quickly. 

"Miss Foster, when will you learn?!" Our Alchemy mentor hurries over and rushes to poor water while I do Sophie a real favor and slide her precious notes onto my desks and out of the line of fire.

Once the mentor sprays her arm down with water, Sophie shoots me a grateful look.

"Maybe I should take her to Elwin," I suggest to the exasperated mentor.

"Yes, maybe you should, Mr. Dizznee," she replies thankfully, whipping up passes to the Healing Center in an instant, just ready to get rid of her most accident prone prodigy,

I shut the door to the session and Sophie sighs. "I am never going to get the hang of this," she says disappointed.

I shrug. "At least you get to see Elwin," I grin, "He'll be glad to see you again."

Sandor and Lovise catch up in an instant. "What happened?" Sandow asks squeakily.

I explain what happened in a nutshell as we continue to walk to the Healing Center, Sophie leading the way as she is extremely familiar with where we're going. Lovise snickers after I wrap the events up but Sandor just sighs.

The halls are empty as we pass through, and once we arrive to the Healing Center (or we might just be calling it Foser Center, named by Keefe), we find Keefe in there as well.

"Hey, Foster and the Dexinator! Welcome back to the Foster Center."

"What'd you do to end up here?" I question him.

"If Foster gets to be mysterious, then surely I can keep this mystery to myself this time, right?" Keefe eyes Elwin. 

"He slipped in the halls and knocked his head on the wall." Elwin sends a smug look his way.

"You are totally killing me," Keefe groans, as Sophie, Elwin, and I laugh. "Well, why are you two here again?"

"Alchemy," Sophie and I say in unison. Another round of laughing goes around the room as Sophie hides her face in her hands.

Sophie goes to sit down next to Keefe and Elwin goes over to check on her. "Where'd you set fire to?" he asks, putting his glasses over his eyes again.

"My arm," she grumbles, her face red with embarrassment.

She pulls her left sleeve up for Elwin to make sure she was okay. There are minor burns and Elwin brings out yeti pee to set on her burns, which we now all tolerate due to the consistant burns we used to face.

Keefe leans on her right shoulder and I sigh. I'm happy for them. They found a kind of peace I once thought I had with Sophie. Until we had our first kiss.

And it just didn't feel right.

But this does, even for me. I'm fine where I am.

"~*.*~"

"I want to hear all about your next kiss," Sophie grinned at me.

"Is it okay if I don't want to help about your next kiss?" I asked miserably. 

"~*.*~"

I remember that happening like it was yesterday. And even though I told her that, I let her tell me about her and Keefe when she was trying to keep her promise. 

Maybe because she looked so elated after it had happened.

Maybe because I could tell that she just needed someone to tell freely.

Maybe because I love having her as my best friend and wanted to be there for her, wanted to be who she goes to.

Maybe I'll find someone eventually.