Emerald Academy

The Emerald Academy turned out to be quite different from the image Ailly had in mind. Spread out over a vast expanse, the school was a veritable maze, and even after almost three years within its walls, Ailly was convinced there were still unexplored corners. Nestled in the neighborhood of Emerald Heights, the academy offered breathtaking views of the city and the ocean. Its aura of prestige and elegance perfectly complemented the distinguished atmosphere of the surrounding upscale neighborhood. Founded generations ago, it enjoyed a solid reputation for academic excellence, commitment to educational innovation, and influence on the future leaders and innovators of Willowbrook City. The majestic building of the academy was surrounded by meticulously maintained gardens and classical statues, creating an atmosphere of serenity and inspiration for the students.

This academy was a symbol of excellence and innovation, major characteristics of Willowbrook. It was an exceptional learning environment and a cradle of future pioneers.

The Emerald Academy was known and recognized, destined for the elite of society, the heirs. Nearly 90% of enrolled students already had their futures mapped out, while the remaining 10%, mainly from the middle class, aspired to obtain recommendations for prestigious universities. Ailly was among these 10%, although she did not belong to the middle class. She considered herself fortunate instead.

Every year, neighboring colleges benefited from a scholarship offered by the academy. Normally, Ailly wouldn't have been selected, as good grades were obviously required to obtain this scholarship. However, by a strange twist of fate, another girl who had been selected had ultimately dropped out after only a month, allowing Ailly to take her place. Although it might seem like luck, Ailly was not really interested in this opportunity because her financial situation did not allow her to cover the expenses of the academy. However, after insistence from some people in her small circle, she had finally accepted. Without it, she would never have been able to attend such a place; her admission was followed by financial assistance, a kind of scholarship, intended to cover the various expenses she would incur for the smooth running of her three years of study.

This type of scholarship was directly granted by the academy, but it could also be withdrawn if the "scholar's" results, in this case Ailly's, were below the required standards, namely an average above 12 in each subject. It was an achievement she could be proud of, as it was not easy to obtain such grades in all subjects at this demanding academy. Thanks to her hard work and determination, she had reached her final year and intended to continue on her path to obtain her diploma. This scholarship allowed her to pay her rent, even if it was not enough to meet all her needs. However, it was still a considerable financial relief.

Ailly opened her locker and sighed as she saw papers scattered all over the floor. Her locker was in a total mess, filled with advertisements. She picked up the small flyers and looked at them, annoyed by this marketing practice. She thought that students, especially the marketing club, should be prohibited from putting these flyers in lockers. It was tiring to have to pick them up every time she opened her locker. After picking up the last paper from the floor, she tidied up her locker a bit before closing it.

She then checked her phone to verify her schedule and classroom. Unlike a fixed schedule, in this school, every first Monday of each month, students received their personalized schedule by email. Ailly found it impressive that the institution prepared the schedule for nearly two hundred students every month. It was a colossal task. Nevertheless, she had no reason to complain about it.

As she examined her schedule, she realized she had Medieval Philosophy class. She was surprised by the name of the course, finding it too advanced for mere high school students. She wondered why they were studying philosophy from that period. What had motivated this decision? But, she remembered that the academy was renowned for its academic rigor, as students were encouraged to excel in all areas, whether arts, sciences, philosophy, or entrepreneurship. So, she had to get used to courses that seemed to exceed high school level. She recalled another class, in her first year, on the Use of War in the Ancient World, where she had been surprised by the complexity of the subject. She had been tempted to say that 15-year-old students were not meant for war, but she had finally understood that life itself was a bit like going to war. At least, some lessons remained etched in her memory.