Chapter 12

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖎𝖙𝖑𝖊: 𝕲𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖇𝖞 𝕺𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖆 𝕽𝖔𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖔 (𝕯𝖎𝖘𝖓𝖊𝖞 𝕳𝖘𝖒𝖙𝖒𝖙𝖘)

***

Her hands were soft. They looked like fragile glasses bathed in warm light. For a second, I felt a sense of envy.

Not because Vaxius likes her, but perhaps because they felt the same way. Again, the thought of that made my stomach tie in knots.

I nodded and smiled. "I will, Lady Valentina," I said.

She followed suit and smiled.

A few seconds later, she was gone to greet the other guests. I stayed a few more minutes at our table before deciding to walk out.

As I left, the faint sounds from the hall never bothered to dominate the sounds of my footsteps.

Until the warm light faded away, I realised I had already stopped walking.

I looked at the red rose right in front of me. It was mesmerising to look at. I wanted to touch it, but I couldn't move my hands to do so.

Indeed, red roses are beautiful. There's no denying it, and yet it was full of thorns.

On the other side of the garden, I saw this white rose. It wasn't as captivating as the red one, yet I was drawn into it.

"You seemed to prefer the white rose rather than the red one, Lady Viona?" Someone said.

It was a man's voice. Deep and soft, like a wind's cold breeze. His voice reverberated through my chest; it was unfamiliar.

"Your Highness," I said, bowing in front of him. Though I only heard him chuckle,.

"I suppose I surprised you, Lady Viona."

"..." I couldn't respond on time.

"You may rise now," he said, then chuckled again.

I sighed.

"If I let you choose between the two roses, what would you prefer and why?" He asked.

I took a glance at him. He didn't glance back. He continued to look at the garden.

As I opened my mouth, I felt the cold breeze sway my hair. I shivered.

Then the crown prince chuckled again.

"Here, you must be cold."

"Your Highness..."

"No buts; besides Lady Viona, I insist," he said, handing me his coat. I had no choice but to take it, gripping it tighter so I wouldn't have to feel the coldness of the night.

I resumed his question, and I asked myself, What would I be able to prefer?

Perhaps my past self would prefer the red rose. I once read in a book that red roses are meant for eternal love—a wish I once had for my future with Klein.

Right now, my present self would choose the other one.

"Your Highness, if I had a choice, then I would choose the white rose." I spoke.

"It's a unique answer from you, Lady Viona," the crown prince said.

Suddenly, warmth invaded my cheeks, only to realise it was the prince's hands holding mine.

"Tell me why," he whispered into my ears. The hot wind, contrasting with the cold night's breeze, caressed my skin. It felt strange.

"Y-Your H-Highness, I-I-I---"