karma

karma 。・:*:・゚★ Chapter 13

The sound of Ms. Hornbeck's dry erase marker squeaking as she continuously mashed the poor thing against the whiteboard made it much easier to tune out the feeling of being watched. I wasn't sure if I should feel scared, or comforted at the fact that I could feel Hunter's eyes also on me. Or it might've been because my big head was blocking the board-- that would explain his sudden blur of movement I could see every time I shifted. I shot him a sly smile before turning back to my blank notes.

After civics, I weaved through crowds in the hall, with Hunter following like some kind of lost kitten. He wasn't too close to where it would've been awkward considering there were no exchanges of words-- but still in damn unnervingly close proximity.

Before we even made it to the end of the narrow stretch, I whipped my head around. "If you're playing bodyguard right now, then just cut yourself the slack and go on somewhere. I can handle myself just fine."

Before a reply was even in the making, my side was suddenly met with someone else's. I didn't need to look up to know who it was.

The blonde boy tilted his head, angling his sour expression over my own narrowed one, "Watch your ass, Schlieb."

I blinked and threw a hand on my hip, "No need, it's so damn big I can see it from here. But thanks for the suggestion."

Hunter immediately tugged me long, but not before quietly chuckling and throwing a shit-eating grin over his shoulder as a collective surprised expression washed over the cluster of jerks. Unfortunately that grin slowly dissipated and I was left with his blank frown.

"What, you didn't like that one?" I elbowed his arm.

He shook his head, but seemingly kept an eye on the same crowd behind us, "No, surprisingly. That was one of your better ones." 

"Mm, thank you, I guess." I smiled, not bothering to contain my self-satisfaction. "Ruffled the prick's feathers a little, don't ya' think?"

He paused for a moment, and finally turned his complete attention to me, "Yeah, yeah, sure. Just... seriously watch your ass though, okay?"

With scrunched brows, I glanced behind him as we neared the music and band hall of the campus-- but the group of boys had left. We came upon the row of numbered suites that housed everyone's instruments, as well as the noise of the obnoxious tuba players' practice sessions.

I twisted the handle of suite number twelve, "I already have a damage bill taped to it, what more do they want--"

My red guitar lay battered and utterly dismembered on the carpeted floor of the small room. Above it, a paper with red ink read, 'Now we're even.' Suddenly, the bra snapping and other forms of old school harassment didn't sound so bad.