the bass player

ᵀᴴᴱ ᴮᴬˢˢ ᴾᴸᴬʸᴱᴿ     。・:*:・゚★   Chapter 1

"No."

June's gaze darted between the two teen boys in front of her, as she lightly strummed her cherry red electric guitar. Hunter Sylvester shifted in his seat, his eyes pointedly set on her.

"Wha- I'm sorry?" Kevin Schlieb stammered.

She sighed, annoyance weighing on her knitted brows, "I can't be your bass player, sorry." She blatantly directed her apology to her brother, or rather anywhere but Hunter Sylvester and his half-assed band.

The silver-ringed boy glanced at June's brother, as if he was expecting a totally different answer out of her. He cleared his throat, facing the blonde once again, "Is... there some sort of reason?"

June's lips parted but she was interrupted.

"Is it because you hate his guts or something? Cuz' I get it, but couldn't you just do this for me? Please?" Kevin tilted his head, pleading.

She might've laughed, had she not seen the serious glint in her brother's eyes. "Kevin. I'm flattered you think I possess that level of pettiness. But I can assure you it's not because of my rightful dislike for your friend."

June shot a glance at said friend's direction, which was immediately returned with a certain heaviness that was present in his brown eyes. She shook her head. 

"I have my own band to run, y'know."

To that, Kevin's eyes widened and June frowned, realizing he'd forgotten. Typical, typical. So very typical of him. Yet she still felt a level of hurt.

"Black Remedy."

He snaps his finger in remembrance and nods. "Sorry, June."

"You're not competing in the battle of the bands though, right? I don't see any other reason not to offer up your services as a bass player." Hunter questioned, practically rescuing June from the awkwardly disappointing moment with Kevin.

"Who said I wasn't competing?" She couldn't help the feral grin etching onto her lips. Her competitive side in full view.

For those few seconds, she bathed in the satisfaction that Hunter's surprised, and frankly worried look that it gave her-- before she set her red instrument back in it's case and sauntered out of the band room right as the bell rang.