1. Home

Chapter 1

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

"the best time for new beginnings is now

"the best time for new beginnings is now."

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

QUINN PHILLIPS ALWAYS wondered what Earth would be like aside from the books she read, the pictures she gazed at with a sense of longing. She could almost imagine how it would feel to breathe natural air into her lungs, how soft the petal of a flower would feel under the brush of her fingertips, how wind washed over her body and rustled through her hair. Only, she could never have imagined that it would be that day.

For the past two years, Quinn wondered why she was even still alive. Two years ago she turned eighteen, the usual age in which prisoners were floated once they became adults. Just like her dad's best friend, her friend's dad- Jake Griffin. The memory of that fateful night was fresh almost like it happened just yesterday. She remembered how upset Clarke was, rightfully so, as Quinn held her back and how her heart broke as she watched her practical second dad when he was sucked away into space.

But for two years, she waited and waited for her own floating to occur except it never came. She hadn't even gone to trial yet which made her wonder if the council members were taunting her, teasing her. If so, it wasn't funny, especially because her own mother was a member as well. Then again, she wondered if that was the reason- did her mom have anything to do with why she wasn't just a body floating around in space? Or had Clarke's dad been right and they were more focused on the bigger picture? Well, if he was, they were too fucking late.

Quinn had practically bit her nails down to their cuticles with every day she waited. She sat in a corner of her cell with her knees pulled to her chest, her blue eyes trained on the locked door. Her thumbs brushed over the fabric of her pants in an attempt to ease the dreadful feeling that blazed in her chest. Something was going to happen, she knew it. She knew it.

Then, a buzzing sound split through the air of silence that surrounded her and the door opened to reveal two guards walking inside. Her heart lurched in her chest, this only meant that her time had come.

"Prisoner 318, face the wall," the first guard, a dark skinned man, spit out.

Forcing herself up with her quivering legs, Quinn turned around to face the wall. Millions of thoughts infiltrated her mind. What would death be like? Would it go quickly when those doors opened and she was yanked into space? Or would she suffer as she felt the remaining oxygen trickle from her lungs? She hoped it would be somewhat peaceful, being surrounded by twinkling stars that for once, she could see without the barrier of a window. Either way, she knew it was coming and the relief was imminent knowing she didn't have to wait in fear any longer.

"Am I going to see my parents first?" she weakly asked, not daring to turn around.

"Quiet. Hold out your right arm," the same guard said.