Ch. 20 ~ Happy Holidays!

In just a couple of weeks, a chill settled over California, bringing with it the crispness of winter air. While snow was a rarity in most parts of the state, the temperature dropped enough to warrant cozy sweaters and scarves, and the once sunny landscapes took on a cooler, more subdued hue.

The bustling studios of California continued their work on "The Owl House," with episodes 13 and 14 finishing the filming stages. Despite the relatively short timeframe, the cast and crew poured their hearts into their craft and managed to finish just in time for the holidays.

As the cold air danced around her, Luz huddled closer to herself, her breath visible in the frigid morning air. Shivering slightly, she turned to her mother, a small cloud of steam escaping her lips with each word.

"It might be our coldest winter in California yet," Luz remarked, her teeth chattering. Her mother, Camila, emerged from the cozy warmth of the nearby coffee shop, a steaming cup in hand. With a knowing smile, she extended the cup to her daughter, the heat radiating from it.

"Here, this should warm you up," Camila said, her voice soft as she watched Luz gratefully accept the offering. Taking a sip, Luz felt the comforting warmth of the coffee seep into her bones, chasing away the chill that had settled there. As she cradled the cup in her hands, she couldn't help but marvel at the way a simple gesture could bring such relief on a cold winter's day.

As they began to walk, the streets adorned with twinkling Christmas lights and festive decorations, the spirit of the season enveloped them in its warmth. Santa Claus stood at the corner, his cheery presence accompanied by the gentle jingle of his bell, a call for donations. Luz reached into her pocket, pulling out a crumpled bill and dropping it into the donation tin with a smile.

Continuing on their way, Luz marveled at the magic of Christmas in California, palm trees twinkled with lights instead of being adorned with snow. Despite the absence of the traditional wintry scene, the air was filled with the same sense of excitement and anticipation that she had always associated with the holiday season.

Camila turned her head to Luz, her eyes seeking confirmation about their holiday plans. "So, Willow, Gus, and their parents are definitely joining us for Christmas, right?" Luz coughed slightly, the hot drink burning her throat, before nodding with a hoarse voice, "Yeah, Mom. We talked about it. They'll be here."

Camila's expression shifted, her thoughts drifting to the additional mouths to feed and the extra preparations needed. "Right," she murmured, her mind already calculating the logistics. She cast a meaningful look at Luz, silently conveying the need for help in the kitchen.

Luz met her mother's gaze, her expression momentarily blank as she sipped her drink. Caught off guard by her mother's unspoken request, she hesitated before finally relenting. "Okay, Mama. I'll help with dinner," she said, her voice soft but resolute.

Camila's face softened with gratitude as she squeezed Luz's hand. "Thank you, sweetheart. It'll be nice to have your help."

Luz stood in front of the mirror, her brows furrowed in frustration as she tried on outfit after outfit, none of them feeling quite right for the occasion. With a huff, she tossed another shirt onto the growing pile on her bed, her reflection staring back at her.

Before she could try yet another, the doorbell rang, breaking the silence of the room. From downstairs, her mother's voice echoed authoritatively, "Luz, answer the door!"

Luz dashed down the stairs, her heart pounding with anticipation. She swung open the door to reveal Gus and Willow standing side by side on the doorstep. Willow held a freshly baked pie in her hands, its sweet aroma wafting through the air, while Gus stood behind her, balancing a precarious stack of gifts.