007

                                               . SURVIVAL GAME . .៹♡
                                                   CHAPTER SEVEN
                                          ─── BETTER ODDS

៹♡                                                   CHAPTER SEVEN                                          ─── BETTER ODDS

The dreaded day had come – the time of the Games. Velren was transported beneath the arena in a floating hovercraft to the dim catacombs. His designated outfit lay on a table at the side of the room. Isabella went to fetch it while Velren remained motionless, staring at his arm where a doctor was inserting the tracker. His face showed no emotion as the cold prick of insertion ran through his body.

Isabella helped Velren into his outfit, and he immediately noticed how thin and tight it was. Around the waist hung a slim, violet belt. Velren could imagine that the arena would have a humid climate. 

"sixty seconds until launch." A voice reminded the both of them. "Just one more thing." Isabella said with a small smile. Velren nodded and looked down at the brown-haired woman. 

He watched as Isabella pulled a tiny golden ring from her pocket and gently slid it onto one of Velren's fingers. The ring was emblazoned with the delicate image of a phoenix which flew elegantly around a mockingjay. "Don't forget, when you're in the arena, remember who the real enemies are." she whispered.

Velren smiled at her and pulled the woman in a hug. "My dress shirt last night, it was wonderful," he complimented her after they had separated from each other. The stylist smiled proudly at him. "Well, you are our Phoenix. Now drink some water, this suit is thin which means you're going to be experiencing heat, maybe tropics."

Velren followed the instructions, took a seat next to Isabella on a chair and emptied half of his glass. He wanted to avoid having to go to the toilet shortly after the bell rang.

After Isabella stood up and indicated that it was time to leave, Velren stepped onto the platform. His body was as nervous as at the beginning of his first game. The crucial moment had arrived. The glass tube enclosed him, and he gave Isabella one last wistful smile as he waited for the platform to lift. But it didn't happen.