17. Talk.

"Cade, can we talk? " Raya asked with a pleading gaze.

How could Helly, who had known Raya for years not know what that look on his, face meant? It meant that he was desperate.

She had long noticed how weird and tense the atmosphere had become ever since they encountered Cade and his group.

She had also seen that fleeting look of horror in Cade's eyes the moment Imm introduced her to him.

Raya's expression upon seeing Cade also felt weird to her.

"Raya, I have something to talk about with Khun Cade tonight. Can't you talk to him later? " Imm glared at Raya.

It wasn't every day that she got a chance to be with Cade. She wanted to spend as much time as she could with him.

Yet, Raya was ruining it for her. How can she not be mad? Her best friend's boyfriend didn't know how to read the room. The thing that Imm didn't realize was that she was the one who couldn't read the room.

Cade was in no mood to act friendly and entertain her. He wanted to leave. He wanted to be alone.

"Khun Cade, why don't you and Raya go talk?" Helly said as she grabbed her friend. "It is already so late. I think we both better return to our room for the day."

She waied at Cade and left, dragging her protesting best friend along with her.

Even though Helly had done it out of goodwill, in Cade's eyes, it made her an accomplice to what Raya did.

It was just like how one felt when a figure in his hand got injured. No matter how much he tries, every time, it would be the injured finger that gets hit somewhere, causing him more pain.

No matter what others did, Cade connected everything to Raya and their marriage.

"Let's go." Cade walked past Raya.

Raya followed Cade while thinking about what to say and how he should explain everything to his husband.

Ten minutes later.

The couple was sitting in the cafe not far from their hotel. They had chosen the corner most seat in order to avoid running into anyone who might recognize them.

Since the literature festival was happening nearby, a lot of Cade's acquaintances were in the area. He didn't want any of them to see him with Raya. 

"Your Minty Iced Tea and white chocolate creme Frappuccino" the waitress placed the ordered items on the table between Cade and Raya.

Both of them bowed lightly in courtesy as they thanked the waitress for her service.

"Let's get an annulment as soon as we get back to Bangkok," Cade said before Raya could say anything. He took a sip of the Frappuccino to ease the lump in his throat. 

"Huh?" Raya wasn't expecting Cade to propose to have their marriage annulled.

"I have already consulted the lawyer. He said that it would be easy to get an annulment as you are bigamous." Cade added, taking another sip of his drink.

Raya took a big sip of his iced tea. Every inch of Cade's body screamed pain to him. The feeling of guilt was drowning him. If only he had been more efficient... if only he dared to stand tall and fight for what he wanted... things wouldn't have gotten this bad. Cade wouldn't have been so hurt.

He could see how Cade was trying to mask his real emotions under the mask of indifference.

"I and Helly aren't physically involved," Raya stated. It would be difficult to prove that he was bigamous in the court as Helly was asexual. There was a loophole.

"The fact that you are here with her, just a few days after our marriage, is enough to prove how involved you are with her,"  Cade stated.

He was deeply disappointed in Raya. He had expected to get basic respect from his husband, given how close they were as kids. All his expectations had flown out of the window the moment he saw Raya standing next to Helly in a different country.

Those words pierced through Raya's heart. "I will do as you say" He didn't even realize that his voice was trembling as he spoke.

Somewhere in his mind, he knew that he wasn't doing this because he was in love with Helly, but because he wanted to break free from his parents' restrictions. To be the one who chose his own life partner.

"Stop making it sound as if you are doing me a favor. You are the jerk here," Cade sipped again and found that his drink was over. He placed the cup back on the table. "Don't even try to pull a stunt. I have all the evidence regarding your adultery. I just want to get an annulment peacefully, without involving our families."

Raya nodded. "I understand and I won't make a scene. I promise." 

It was indeed better for them to get an annulment. Even though it wasn't completely intended, he had indeed brought a lot of pain to Cade, and he was no longer fit to be Cade's husband.

As long as they get an annulment without their parents' knowledge, things will go back to normal. He had to get this marriage annulled. He had to set Cade free, free of pain, free of him, free of this marriage.

"You promise?" Cade scoffed. "I would have believed it if I wasn't standing right in front of you while you were taking the marriage vows with me last Sunday."

Raya stared down at the iced tea on the cafe table. He didn't say anything to refute Cade's statement. 

Because he knew that whatever Cafe was saying was true and the attitude that was given to him was justified.

It hadn't been a week since they got married. Since they promised to be together for the rest of their lives.

Cade's phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw that it was from Tanu. "I have said what I wanted to say. I am leaving." He stood up and walked out of the cafe, leaving his soon-to-be ex-husband alone.

On his way he picked up the call.

"Where the heck are you?" Tanu's voice came from the other end. 

"I just wanted to grab a drink. I am on the way back." Cade said and hung up the call.

He took large, long strides as he walked. He wanted to reach his room before the tears that were threatening to fall of his eyes fell.

Cade closed the door behind him as soon as he entered his room. He was given a room of his own by the festival organization committee.

He was thankful that he had the room of his own. If he had to share the room with Tanu, he was sure that he would have a thousand questions, starting from why he was crying, a question whose answer he himself was looking for.

The flood of tears flowed down his cheeks and was taking no name of stopping. 

"You did well, Cade. Annulling this marriage is the best move you can take." he consoled himself.