Chapter 3

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."

- Helen Keller

Ethan's POV

I was left dumbfounded at my secretary's outburst. First, she was a whole week absent without reporting to me. Then, she suddenly showed herself here like nothing happened. And now, she quit.. even calling me Evil Bryce. I felt my scalp prickled.

You'll be so sorry for this mad woman. If you come begging after this, I won't take you back even if you cried blood. Maddening old lady.

I whipped out my phone as I felt it vibrated. It's my mom.

"Hello?"

"Oh Ethan! Thank God you answered." She said with high spirits.

"What's up?"

"What's up? Is that what you'll say to your own mother after so long? We haven't seen each other for a whole month now! I miss my son!" She dramatically and wholeheartedly stated, obviously trying to gain my sympathy.

I have a bad feeling about this. I sighed.

"What's wrong mom?" I asked, trying to test the waters. But I think I probably know what this is about.

"Well, you see son..." She started. "Three weeks from now if you remember, we'll be having our foundation evening party. The whole society will come, as well as important people so I expect you-- to announce your engagement with Tricia right there."

"What the crap--!" I inadvertently exclaimed.

"Mom! No! You know I don't want that." My blood reached a boiling point as I felt my nerves crack. First, my secretary. And now, my mom. I heaved an exasperated and frustrated sigh.

"Well, you know in our society it's not a matter of want son." She snorted.

"No. Mom. I won't do it." I firmly stated trying to calm my cracking nerves.

"No. Son. I am expecting you---so if you don't want to, I believe the only way is for you to seriously think about marriage and pick a girl of your choosing. If not, then I have no choice but to announce at the party myself your engagement to Tricia. You know her father. So, if you really don't want to get entangled with him in a bad way, then I suggest you bring a decent girl home. You know, with marriage in mind." My mother smugly announced.

"I think you have the order wrong mom. Nathan should go first. He's older and--" she hung up.

Damn it!

Another old lady, and now my problems has escalated completely.

"Crap." I cursed as I dialled a number, and after the first ring -

"Hello?"

"Gio. I have something I want you to do."

▫▫▫

Elizabeth's POV

It's been two weeks since my outburst at the devil's den and resigned altogether. Now, I am slumping at my sofa reading and scanning the newspaper.

The number in my daily savings account isn't looking good--no scrap that, it's actually going down. I'm afraid that if this continues, my rent, my bills, and my already broken heart will go down the drain. The end of me, in other words.

I am currently barely hanging at the end of my rope so I bought this newspaper in the hopes of finding work.

Three weeks is a lot of time already, I can't mope around forever just because of a broken heart. If there's one thing I learned about life, it's that it goes on.