Chapter 11

"A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: she changes it more often."

- Oliver Herford

Ethan's POV

Is it weird to count the time when you're not with someone? Like counting it every-fucking-time?

'Coz that's exactly what I'm doing right now.

It's been twenty hours, twenty five minutes, and forty seconds since I last saw her. I wonder if she already made up her mind―not that she has any other choice, really.

"The coffee's not too good." A voice chirped, snapping me out of my thoughts. I frowned.

"Remind me again what you're doing here, Regina?"

"I told you," She huffed. "I have an appointment near, so since I'm in the area, I thought, why not drop by and surprise my son altogether?"

I narrowed my eyes. Remembering yesterday's events made my stomach churn. My mother is as meddlesome as ever.

"What?" She quirked an eyebrow at me.

I sighed. "Nothing."

"Nothing?" She persisted, stopping from sipping her coffee. "With that look and that annoying sigh? You're saying its 'nothing'?"

I knitted my eyebrows irately. "It's just I can't believe you thought of paying Elizabeth so that you can test her. I really can't understand you Regina. Your jokes are way out of line."

She snorted, putting the coffee mug on the table. "You think I was just joking? Well, I wasn't, actually."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, I really do planned to pay her, Elizabeth." She continued, picking up the mug again and taking another sip at her coffee. "If she played it coy. I'll pay her and rid of her. If she played it tough―too tough for my taste. I'll rid of her immediately. No buts. No second guessing."

"Regina..."

"But, she played it calm. Calm and tough. Like I always say to you." She briefly smiled, eyes flickering with amusement. "Plus, she said that you're a pain in the arse. And believe me Ethan, even though I'm your mother, I can't help but share the sentiment. You're a big pain in the butt. If you didn't know already."

"Well, now that you mention it..." I shook my head. My lips were suddenly tugging at her words. Really trust my mother to say something like that.

"Plus, I'm positive that Elizabeth is a nice woman." She quipped, a smirk lacing her lips. "I like her."

My plan was working already, I silently thought. Then heard something, as the door to my office suddenly burst open.

What the fuck...

"Hi, babe." An artificially sweet voice that never fails to get me annoyed chirped. Tricia-freaking-Hendricks.

Wearing a super short, super tight, sequin body hugging dress that almost didn't cover her legs. With a plunging neckline that can be considered immoral in some countries. The missy doesn't know the meaning of appropriate.

What does she think of my office? A nightclub? Wearing something distasteful―at my office, at that. She should follow Miss Tran's example! Knee-cut skirts that almost covered her limbs. I'm not even talking about the neckline here.

"Okay. I think should be going now, son." My mother chimed, snapping me out to attention. She immediately clutched her handbag and stood up. "I still have an appointment." She smiled, turning to me.