Chapter Twelve

Damon's face instantly turned into a frown, his gaze darting between the strangers that looked like they'd just stepped out of a lumberjack ad and the witch. Without further hesitation, he stepped slightly in front of Alex, positioning himself between her and the two men. "They said they were family. Do I need to turn them into a meal instead?"

Alex shook her head at the ridiculous vampire. "Really, Day? That's all it takes for you to lead trouble to my door? Just say family and boom, you're happy to lead them to their next victim?" Alex smacked him in the arm, though there was no malice behind it. "Have you looked at where we live lately?"

"So, meal or no meal?" Damon glanced over to her, pointing between the two men.

Alex gave him a small laugh. "As much as I appreciate the threatening gesture, no, no meals out of these two. They're-" She couldn't bring herself to call them family. Even if that's what they had claimed to Damon. "They're friends from a past life." She put a reassuring hand on Damon's arm as she stepped up beside him to face the two flannel clad giants who currently looked offended but also completely confused at Damon's calling them meals.

Damon laid a hand over hers that still lightly gripped his arm, his eyes asking if she was all right. Was she all right? She honestly didn't know. Her brain was running wild, still trying to figure out what the hell kind of twisted reality fate had thrown at her this time. That's what she gets for thinking the bitch called Fate was on her side this time.

Damon leaned his head down to hers, his voice just a whisper, "And there's that second hamster." Standing back up straight, he turned his head to address the group as a whole. "How about we move this little unexpected reunion inside and away from prying eyes?"

"Uh, yeah. That's a good idea," Sam spoke up. At the sound of his voice, Alex couldn't stop her eyes from snapping to meet his. It had been so long since she'd heard the voice of Sam Winchester. Despite the past, it made her heart happy to hear him again. He looked like he hadn't changed one bit. But then again, in their world she'd only been gone a month or two. Her face broke out into a sad smile as her eyes threatened to glisten. Clearing her throat, she waved toward the shop's door. "Um, yeah. Come on in." She quickly opened the door and made her way in, turning her head down, doing her best to avoid eye contact with the other brother who hadn't stopped staring at her since she'd answered the door. 

Leading the three men into the shop, she gestured for them to sit in the leather chairs while she flipped on a couple of the lamps littering the space. She chose to seat herself in the stool behind the counter. Rather than sitting with Sam and Dean by the chairs, Damon followed her behind the counter, choosing to remain standing. He kept himself situated between the boys and Alex. Sweet vampire. 

After glancing between the two parties, Damon turned to the cabinet behind Alex. "I feel like whatever this is is going to require a drink. Gentleman?" He offered up a bottle of amber liquid as he pulled out several glasses.

Dean cleared his throat before answering, his voice cautious. "Uh, yeah. A drink sounds great right now, thanks."

As Damon poured and distributed the drinks, Sam finally asked the question that Alex had seen his brain churning over as he accepted the drink from Damon. "Uhm, I noticed that he called you Winchester when he knocked on the door." Alex met Sam's puppy dog eyes.

Clearing her throat, Alex played with her glass that rested on the counter. "Uh, yeah. I needed to change it a while back. The reputation of Alex Milligan was becoming a little too well known. Guess Winchester was the only name I could think of at the time." She gave a small shrug with her answer.

Damon spun back to face her as he placed the bottle of liquor back in the cabinet. "Milligan? That's your real last name?" Damon frowned at the news.

"Yeah." Alex dragged the word out, not sure if she should be worried where Damon was taking this.