10

"So what's the story with that guy?" Theo asked me as I sat down on my towel that was laid out on the sandy shore.

I looked at him carefully before realizing he meant Levi.

"No story. I just kind of know him." I replied before laying back on the towel and blocking the sun from my eyes with my hand.

"Kind of is an understatement, Kennedy." Isabelle laughed.

"I guess you're right." I smiled, "he's my brother's best friend." I spoke mainly to Theo.

"Oh, so you've known him for a while?" He asked.

"Yep, since I was a little kid." I answered without looking at him due to my position.

I didn't hear a response back, but I didn't pay much attention to that as I soaked up the warmth of the sun.

I didn't know it but I drifted off to sleep in the sun and took a nap. It wasn't long before I woke up to distant screams and laughs and the sounds of water being splashed.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes to see Jack and Marshall splashing around in the river with a couple other teenage girls. I looked to my side to see Isabelle sitting with her feet in the sand.

"Good morning, princess." She teased.

"Huh, how long did I sleep for?"

"Like an hour."

"Shit." I muttered.

"I reapplied sunscreen for you while you slept." She smiled.

"Thanks."

"Sure thing." She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, "so, I was thinking. We should sneak out tonight to go to that treehouse."

"I'm down, but why?"

"For fun. To rebel." She wiggled her eyebrows to which I laughed.

"Whatever you would like, Belle."

"Perfect!" She smiled mischievously, "keep it on the down low though."

"Got it." I said before turning over on my stomach.

-

We lazed away the afternoon by sunbathing and occasionally jumping in the water to cool down. It felt so good to not do anything for hours.

It was why I loved summer so much, I didn't have many responsibilities. During the school year I had so much work to attend to, but in the summer I finally got to do whatever I pleased.

The entire afternoon was spent at the river right up until our scheduled time for dinner. Theo and his sister Charlotte had wandered away to do something else over the course of the hours spent at the river. Isabelle and I gathered up our things and began to walk back toward the heart of camp.

"Do you know what we're doing after we eat dinner?" Isabelle asked me as we trudged back toward the cabins.

"No, but I could ask Levi." I replied as we neared cabin thirteen. I walked up the steps to the small front porch deck and draped my sandy towel over the railing.

Isabelle followed me into my cabin and all of the boys were already there.

"Where you been, dude?" Jack said to me as I shut the wooden door.

"At the river, dude." I mocked him in response.

"Doing what? It looked like you were just laying there on the shore forever." Jack replied.

Owen and Marshall were sitting at the table playing a card game and it looked as if Levi was spectating. They all had wet hair to some degree, I think maybe they showered when they got back. Separately I hope.