52: Experiment Zero

Depuis le début

"Didn't I tell you?" The man turned to Garrett with a smile that caused hair to stand on the back of Dawn's neck. "It's quite an improvement."

"Yes, but she still cannot wield the weapon." Garrett argued, seeming impatient with the lack of significant progress. "When will we get better results?"

"Calm yourself, we will have them soon enough. Our monster is acquiring what we need."

"Can we trust them?"

"The information they have provided has been correct so far, and they have promised to stay out of our business as long as we stay out of theirs."

"What of the other?"

"Ah, yes I imagine she will return soon." He laughed as though his words were a particularly funny joke before regaining sincerity. "For now we should concentrate on refining the contents of each dose, we don't want any more failed experiments."

"They are getting difficult to control."

"Let them run around, they won't attack your precious Base."

"It's too late for that." Garrett sighed wearily, and he suddenly looked aged. "The people of the Base have already seen one."

"And how did that turn out for you?" The man smirked, already knowing how the story had ended.

"I can fix it."

"Mhm, I would love to see you try." Dawn recognised the mockery in his tone, she was quite versed in it. "Less and less people are willing to head north, and even fewer trust you now. How exactly do you plan on fixing it?"

"I'm sure you could help in that department."

"I could, but I would have to use force."

While the men were talking, Elise had collapsed, chest heaving and body convulsing. It was a jarring sight to watch, but Dawn could not risk getting caught so she stayed put, gazing on as Elise fought for air. Had Dawn chosen to side with Garrett, or had done nothing about the problem, that would have undoubtedly been Rose and Freya's fate.

This is exactly what they are trying to accomplish. You wouldn't have a daughter when they use her for their experiments! She is essentially Experiment Zero in their eyes!

Not just her sisters' fate, but her fate too. So what they are trying to accomplish is me, Dawn's hand gripped the branch and it splintered beneath her touch. She knew this, of course she knew this, but it was still distressing to have confirmed.

The shards of wood fell to the forest floor below, rustling the shrubbery that lay underneath. The slight movement caught the men's attention, both heads turning in their direction. Luckily, the two girls were blocked from their view, but Dawn did not want to take any more chances.

"We should leave now." Dawn elbowed the girl beside her, trying to gain her attention. "We have seen all that we need to see."

Syrena took a moment to respond, eyes still locked on the weapons that lay discarded. It was only after another nudge did she give a reluctant nod.

Realising that she was concerned for the Commander, Dawn hastily pushed the thought and emotion aside until they had made it out of the forest. Distractions would not help her here.

As swiftly as they could, they dropped back down to the forest floor, hastily backing away from where the humans were mere feet before them. Luckily, the sun was hidden behind thick grey clouds, offering them some form of protection; although it was still not as much as Dawn would like. The walk back to the break in the border would take a day, but the more distance they put between themselves and the encampment, the better.