Spotlight#180: Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons

Have you ever wanted to see a legend in the making? If so, then Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons by Phil Jiminez and Kelly Sue DeConnick is the story for you.

Summary

Both inside and outside of DC, the story of Wonder Woman has been retold as often as in Greek mythology, which is fitting given Amazon's history. High on top, both Mount Olympus and deep within the throws of man's world, women suffer underneath the harsh grip of man. So much so that the goddesses one day decided to sacrifice a piece of themselves and create the Amazons, a group of warrior women who stand firm against any threat.

Through their strength, the mortal women of Earth could finally get some form of justice, including Hippolyta, a maiden who will soon become queen to fighters that will nearly put all of Olympus into a spiral. This is the story that weak men won't tell you. The story and origins of the Amazons.

Characters

Hippolyta: Our main character, Hippolyta, originally started off our story as nothing more than a bystander to men's cruelties, following the crowd until her frustration reached its absolute peak. One so grand that under the force of the Amazon, she became a charismatic, merciful, and motherly trying leader to them and an unforgiving, unrelenting force for all evil men.

Hera: The matriarch of the gods, Hera is someone who, in many ways, feels the same frustration as Hippolyta. To that end, Hera commands an incredibly elaborate yet sorrowful wisdom through her ability to experience the future.

Overview

This is a bit of an ironic thing, given this is Women's History Month, but by the gods, I have a masculine urge just to let the imagery of this book speak for itself. Wonder Woman Historia was another comic that I was glad to get alongside Clear. Not only because of the book's beautiful art and twin Eisner awards but because of how much the book is needed.

As mentioned in Wonder Woman: Black and Gold, Diana is the worst treated of the Trinity, and through her more modern media, her mythos are in the best ways. Whether it be the 2017 Wonder Woman or even the 2009 animated movie, we always talk about the Amazon's departure from man's world as a flawed viewpoint characterizing them as cowards or brutes. However, we need to hear more about the events leading to it, hence why modern retelling was necessary.

And there weren't any better hands to tell that story than through Phil Jimenez and Kelly. While being aided by other artists, the former is also one of the premier Wonder Woman artists and writers. The latter's experience with the more recent Captain Marvel issues leaves them more than qualified.

Through both of their contributions, Wonder Woman Historia reads like the Greek myths it's based on, flipping through time only to get the most proper information about key events. The book is not shy in its contents either, portraying most Amazons who join the cause as victims of man's world. Whether it be through underestimation, slavery, assault, or torture, we violently see it all.

Which also lets us see the humanity of our leads in their stark defiance. It is excellent to see the Amazons go from a merry band to an army while sharpening their swords against more significant threats. Even though there are only three parts, you feel that the Amazons are people with separate cultures. The beautiful colorists on display (Hi-Fi Design, Arif Prianto, Romulo Fajardo, Jr.) make our heroes' struggles more prevalent.

Despite the book's triumphs, I still call Wonder Woman Historia bittersweet. If only because of the book's underlying theme displays how the Amazons, for all their independence, are still subject to the will of gods. Gods who, like the mortals they influence, can only do their best.

Epilogue

Given what I've seen from one of the more exuberant Wonder Woman fans, Historia deserves its praise. It's a beautiful book depicting a brutal but all too familiar struggle between men and women. With the new Paradise Lost show, some aspects of Historia get taken to show off the Amazons with the glory they deserve. Till then, though, let's see where the spotlight takes us next. 

Webtoon SpotlightOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara