Chapter 5- The truth is reviled

Jess's Point of view-

********

Dream-

My heart was racing and my eyes were streaming out hot tears. I was scared. Why?

I begin to notice trees passing me in my peripheral vision and I realize that I'm running through the forest by the playground where Nick and I had shared our first kiss. I knew this part of the forest well. I used to go running here with my dad, after my mom went missing.

I stopped running. I don't know why I stopped, but my legs, just wouldn't move. I suddenly started to cry harder, and my body began to shake violently from the cold gusts of wind that passed me.

I heard a rustling of leaves that definitely wasn't the wind.

"Who's there?!" I ask, my voice shaking.

I hear a cold, deep laugh from behind me. I turn around just in time to see my mate immerge from the shadows.

"Nick?" I say confused. Why is my mate here?

He looks me in the eye and smiles, not the kind, shy smile that was usually on his face, no this was an evil, nasty smile. His eyes were as black as the night. He noticed my confusion, and his smile got wider, his head suddenly shot up, and howled into the night loudly. I was so confused.

Before I could comprehend what was happening, Nick charged at me, changing into a huge black wolf half way to me.

I couldn't move and he was going to kill me, I just knew it. There was only one way to save myself and I knew it.

"You can't do it!" My wolf said to me," You know what happened the last time you used persuasion... you know that the results won't be good!" she warned me.

The pain in my chest that I got from memory of what had happened was almost unbearable.

Memory-

It was tenth grade year, and I was in my moody stage, where it was either my way or the highway. I was in history class and my teacher wouldn't stop lecturing us about Paul Revere. I had finally lost my patience with her saying the same things about him over and over. I didn't mean to, but in my mind I was thinking about how there had to be a place that my history teacher, Miss Brooks, had to be right now so that I didn't have to listen to her talk anymore. Before I knew what was happening, she said,

"You know there's somewhere that I need to be." She had a blank expression on her face as she turned to face the large window on the side of her classroom. She began running and dove right out of the open window. I would have laughed at the fact that she had done that except for the fact that we were on the second floor of the school. She lived through the fall, but just barely, she is a human, so she is more fragile than a werewolf. She had three broken ribs, a concussion, a ruptured spleen, and a broken leg.

I had caused that. It was an accident, I didn't expect her to jump out of a window, but the pain of knowing that I had caused that much damage to another living creature, had really damaged me.

Back to dream-

I couldn't use it. Not even to save my own life, and especially not on my own mate.

Just as he was about to attack me I wake up.

-End of dream.

****

I woke with a start. I sat up, tears stinging my eyes. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was having trouble breathing. I look around and take in my surroundings, and I realize that I'm not in my bedroom. I start to breathe more heavily and I slam my hand down next to me. It hit something hard and I heard a loud grunt and I look down.