Chapter 18

I wasn't sure what to expect with this get together, but trekking a few miles into the woods wasn't it. I kind of thought Sawyer was kidding when he said to wear comfortable shoes. I didn't really mind walking, but I knew when it was dark, it was going to be a lot trickier. For me anyway.

We heard the music long before we reached our destination. As we got closer, the noise grew louder until we were at the edge of a small clearing. Tiki torches created the boundary to the party, and camping lanterns were spread everywhere. So I guess the approaching darkness wouldn't be a problem. There were maybe fifty people in the space, laughing or talking or dancing. Apparently this was how kids in the pack partied.

Jess looked at her brother and latched onto my arm. "Go play with the boys for a while," she told him.

"Jess," he warned, scowling.

Jessica wasn't intimidated. She pulled me to a stop and glared right back at him. "Look, Claire needs to meet people. It's going to be hard enough to be the new kid in school, even if she already knows the pack."

"I'm not going to keep her from meeting anyone."

"You know the girls don't act normal when you're around. Give her some space to make friends."

Sawyer continued to frown at her, but once again, she had a point. Abrupt as she could be, I really did like Jess. She was trying to watch out for me.

"She's right," I told him, causing him to turn his frown on me. I think he was mostly worried about me feeling awkward on my own, which was sweet but unnecessary. "I am going to have to deal with school, and you won't be able to come with me. And it's not your fault you're gorgeous." Other girls were bound to act stupid or flirty or clam up or whatever when he was around. I might have been embarrassed to say it, but he undoubtedly already knew it was true. And he didn't act like he thought so, so I didn't mind feeding his ego. Plus the look of horror on Jess' face was pretty funny.

"Ugh," she complained.

Sawyer fought a smile and I knew his annoyance had passed. "I guess I'll see you in a while."

We separated and Jess pulled me toward the drink station where some of the girls had congregated. "You shouldn't say things like that," she said. "His head is big enough already."

I laughed as we reached the group. Jess was greeted enthusiastically and she introduced me to everyone. They were all friendly, but aside from Sophia, I wasn't sure I'd remember most of their names. I tried at first, but after the fifth new name, I was forgetting the previous ones.

They chatted for a while about people and things I was totally clueless about, but it still felt nice to be accepted. A little strange, but nice. I mostly just listened and sipped my Sprite.

"Cute top." The red-head beside me gestured to my green crisscross shirt. It was one of my new ones and Jess insisted that I wear it.

"Thanks." I smiled. "I like yours too." I may not have known squat about fashion, but the shade of blue she wore made her eyes look great.

"Thanks." She stood awkwardly for a minute, and I realized she was curious about something but didn't want to be rude.

"Do you all do this a lot?" I asked, figuring if I got her talking, whatever it was would come out.

"Maybe a few times a month," she said. "It's harder during school. We just got out a few weeks ago, and this is the first time since then."

"Sounds like fun."

"Yeah, it can get kind of exhausting, always making sure humans don't notice anything weird. We can relax and be ourselves here."

I nodded. That made sense.