Chapter 6

"I need my birth certificate," I told my dad when came through the kitchen door to find him having his morning coffee. I was never sure when I'd actually run into him. He was gone most of the day and then he stayed out late, doing whatever it was he did when he claimed to be working overtime. I usually didn't make it to the kitchen in the mornings until he'd gone for the day, and I liked to go to bed on the earlier side. I would have liked to avoid him completely, unfortunately I did need something from him.

He grunted but didn't look away from his paper.

"I said, I need my birth certificate." I crossed my arms and raised my voice so he couldn't possibly say he didn't hear me.

Irritated, he focused on me with a raised eyebrow.

"I need it to get my driver's license. Mom says she doesn't know where it is."

"Later," he said before trying to ignore me again.

"No," I said stubbornly. "I'm going on my birthday, and I never know where you are." My birthday was only a few days away.

"And who is going to take you?" he challenged.

I scowled. Even though I had no idea how I'd do it without him, I was not about to ask for his help. Ugh. Why couldn't my mom's convention be the following week?

"I'll figure something out," I said. Maybe I could offer to pay one of the neighbors. Not that I had money...

My dad smirked like he knew I had nothing. "I'll get it later," he repeated.

I huffed. "Just tell me where it is and I'll get it."

"I'm not sure off hand," he said. "I'll do it when I have time."

For some reason any time I needed something important from him, he pulled this garbage. He would put me off indefinitely and maybe never give it to me.

"When will that be?" I pushed.

"When I get to it." He was losing patience, but I didn't care. I was glad that I could make him angry.

"When?" I said obstinately.

Something flashed in his eyes and made me take a step back. I couldn't explain why. My father was a jerk, but he hadn't physically hurt me before.

He watched me with that anger burning in his eyes. After a few seconds, it cooled a little. "I'll be away for a few days. I'll give it to you when I get back."

"You're leaving?" I asked, surprised.

He raised his eyebrows, clearly thinking it was a dumb thing to say.

"Where are you going?" I tried again.

"I have a conference of my own to go to," he said dismissively before turning his attention back to his newspaper.

What in the world? He worked at a factory, making car parts. He was just a typical worker, not someone important to the company.

I waited another minute for more of an explanation, but he continued to ignore me. Huffing again, I turned and stalked from the room. I went upstairs and almost ran into Mom as she came out of the bathroom.

"Oh, Riley, take a few of these, would you?" She was struggling to hold on to the toiletries in her hands.

Taking the tiny shampoo bottles and a few other items, I followed her back to her bedroom.

"Did Dad tell you he was leaving?" I asked as I set everything on her bed next to her suitcase.

"Hmm? Is he?" She glanced at me before moving to the dresser to pull a few things from the top drawer.