"Go to your room then."

She groaned again. "It's too far!"

I felt Stefan grab my hand. I watched as he let go of it then walked to Caroline. He helped her to her room. I took the opportunity to take the bag to the kitchen and put it by the back door. I walked to the living room. I sat my phone on the couch in front of me after fitting myself into the corner of the couch. I rested my chin on top of my knees and hugged my knees to my chest. I stared at my phone.

Stefan came back a few minutes later. He sat with me for the next two hours and we talked. It was enjoyable. I smiled a few times, which was new. The conversation got quiet. I took the opportunity to ask what was on my mind.

"Did you guys ever find Kai?"

He looked at the couch, staring for a few seconds. "He, um, actually showed up last night at Ric's." He looked at me. I felt my heart sink. "He was looking for Jo to do the merge. He almost did but then Luke, Liv's twin, stepped in place of her." He was quiet for a moment. "Kai won."

I felt nauseous. "Jo's okay. But Luke died. Kai killed him." I wanted to throw up.

"Yeah." His voice was quiet. "We tried to stop it but we couldn't. And we tried to get Kai, but we couldn't."

"And it's going to be impossible now. He won so he's the leader of the coven."

He didn't say anything. I pressed my forehead to the top of my knees and closed my eyes. It just keeps getting worse. My phone started ringing. I lifted my head and looked at the screen. Kai's name seemed bigger and brighter now that Stefan's staring at it too.

"Why... is he calling you?" I looked from my phone to Stefan. He was staring at me with confusion. There was anger in his eyes, but it didn't go beyond that. "Evelyn?"

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing would come out. Thinking of excuses is much easier when I'm not being stared down by an intimidating person who could easily yell at me and make me feel horrible. "He's been calling me for the past week."

"Okay," He looked back down at the phone. "Why?" He looked at me again.

I couldn't think of an answer that would make him any less suspicious of what may be happening with Kai. I put my feet on the floor and grabbed my phone. I answered the call and put the phone to my ear.

"What do you want?"

"You. Where are you?"

"I'm busy."

"Rules, Evelyn. You made them. Follow them."

I closed my eyes. "No. I told you I'm busy." I opened my eyes again.

"You've been ignoring me for a week!"

"For good reason!"

He scoffed. "I get that your life is fucked up right now, but we had a deal."

It finally struck me that I'm talking to a sociopath. "You actually don't get it."

"Your mom died. It sucks. Life goes on."

I furrowed my brows. "You're demented."

"Tell me where you are."

"No."

"Evelyn-"

I pulled the phone away from my face and ended the call. I looked at Stefan. "I think you should go."

He sat up. "What was that about? What was the deal, Evelyn, because it obviously wasn't what you said it was."

I gripped my phone tighter. "I don't have to tell you."