LXXVII. Every Step of the Way

Start from the beginning

The BRAD-X stopped.

"Sorry, guys," Darius apologized. "Guess Kash only has one song loaded on this thing."

"It's all right," Mae chimed in. "Just hearing you say you locked Kash away is music enough for my ears."

Everyone started cheering, which only riled up Firecracker. She ran around, knocking Kenji to the ground, then bolting. Ben quickly ran after her. Eva limped over to Kenji, offering him a hand up. "Hey, where'd Rebel go?" He questioned, looking around for him.

They found him sleeping behind a tree.

"Aweee! He sleeps just like you," Eva joked.

"Really? Cause his snores sound just like yours."

"So I'm cute, ugly, and I snore. At least I've got range. Can't wait to teach the little dude how to sing."

"Or how not to sing."

"As if you could do any better, Mr. Modern Love."

"Yeah, whatever, Little Pistol."

"The Cry Forum," Eva bit.

"Cesspool of Love."

"Baby Don't Dance."

"Problems."

Eva gasped, "Low blow!"

Eva and Kenji burst into laughing.

"Uh, Rebel, we getting up?" Kenji asked after finally catching his breath. He clapped twice, nudging the baby dino. "On three?" Kenji and Eva both took a stand next to him. "One, two three— hyuhhh!"

They collapsed, their backs to Rebel, and sighed.

Eva shifted into Kenji's side, lying her head on his shoulder. She closed her eyes, sighing in content. "I hope this never ends."

"Me too." He turned his head, pressing a kiss onto the top of her head.

A beat passed, then Eva asked, "Kenji?"

"Yeah?"

"I just... I'm really glad I have you. I don't think I could have survived any of this without you, and I... I don't want to lose you."

"Hey—" Kenji laid his hand on her thigh, drawing little circles with his thumb. "You're never losing me, Angel. I'm not gonna let you go through any of it alone. Anything else this island throws at us, Rutherford, all of it: I'll be by your side every step of the way."

"Eva pressed her lips to his cheek, then snuggled into his side. "Thank you. Seriously, for everything."

"Anything I could do for you."

They stayed that way, cuddled together, for a good ten minutes before Eva stretched, mentioning she wanted to get to the bottom of the Rebel problem with her girls. Kenji gave her one final forehead kiss, then parted ways, heading over to Darius.

Eva beelined for the girls, who were by Angel's side.

"Hey, I think something's wrong with Rebel," Eva said. "He's chill, but not usually this chill."

"Angel's acting weird, too," Sammy said. "She's usually more bitey."

"No issues for Firecracker," Yaz commented. "She is right at home."

"Maybe that's the problem," Sammy pointed out.

Eva immediately understood. "Maybe Rebel and Angel weren't made for the jungle biome. Maybe they were made for somewhere else."