CHAPTER THIRTEEN: DEPARTURE

Drystan had dozed off, and he awoke to the smell of food and a light smack to the forehead.

    Aedan laughed and handed him a mealpak before flopping down in a flight chair across from Drystan's. It was late in the afternoon, and they were sitting in the passenger area of Maive's luxury starship, waiting for her to get back with the last of the supplies they'd be taking with them. After all the drama of the past 12 hours, there was too much Imperial heat for them to stay on Tyrne even if they wanted to; Drystan gathered that neither of his new friends had any such desires.

    Although, it still seemed like a great sacrifice for Maive to leave behind her wealth and comfort; when Drystan mentioned as much, she laughed and assured him that she could take as much as she needed with her, and everything else could burn for all she cared. It was good to see Aedan so happy when she was around, even if Drystan couldn't so easily forget what he had been taught about how attachments and Jedi don't mix.

    "What's on your mind?" Aedan was trying to give Drystan a thoughtful look, but with his cheeks stuffed full of steak, it was just silly; Drystan appreciated it nonetheless.

    "A lot, I guess," Drystan replied. 

    Aedan put his food to the side and sat forward. "Alright, hit me. Rapid-fire."

    The younger man hesitated, but accepted the well-meaning challenge. "Do you know that Jedi aren't supposed to form attachments?"
    "I had heard something to that effect. Never been great at rule-following anyhow."

    Concerning, but acceptable. "Where are we going next?"
    "Wherever we can keep raking in credits without drawing too much Imp attention."
    "How did you escape the tomb?"

    It was a good thing Aedan had swallowed, or else he would've choked on his bite. He seemed almost embarrassed to answer, so Drystan interjected.

    "It's okay. I figured if you could purify a crystal as fast as you did, you must've had help. What did he tell you?"
    "Well, you know Master Vohz; he used a lot of words, which I think were like, probably wise." Both men laughed. "He told me I had to find new motivation, to seek balance."

    Aedan paused for a moment, and a complicated mix of emotions played across his face. "For what it's worth, bro, I think he appeared to me because he knew I was thick-headed enough to need a freakin' ghost to spook me into learning anything. But you? You knew him so well you can just think for a second and know what he would say, or do."
    If the previous night had gone any differently, that compliment might have broken Drystan's composure with shame; but he was in a good place now, at the end of his quest to find Yoruuk Vohz. He could be honest with himself and say he learned what final lessons his master had known he would need, and could move on to this dangerous, promising new season.

    Maive appeared, dusting her hands. "That's the last of my stuff. Aed, did you bring everything you need? I don't think we're coming back any time soon."
    He snorted. "I fit my life into half a duffle bag and gave my truck to Gus to settle my tab. I think I'm good."
    She walked past, kissing Aedan on the head but slapping him on the shoulder. "Then get in the cockpit with me, hobo. I could use a copilot." She half turned. "You all set, kid?"
    "I'm good, except for being called 'kid'," Drystan said with a smile. "We'll have to workshop something else."

    They left him sitting with his food, looking out the viewport at what he now knew was the final resting place of Master Vohz, and by extension, Drystan's old life as a Jedi. What his life was now, and who he would become, he really couldn't tell. But one thing was certain; he felt safe, and he had found hope.

    Who could ask for more?