Chapter One

Im satted down next to an old dark oak tree that shelters itself with red leaves. My knees are pushed up against my chest and a notebook is placed on top of my kneecaps. Im writting it seems, never really knowing what about. My sorroundings are people my age occuping a tree that resembles their personalities. Im alone, waiting for my own group of friends. I had been writting and spending time with myself for almost the entire afternoon. Im peacefully alone in my own form of sollitude. The wind whispers in my ear whilst the smell of fresh grass soothes my nerves. The sound of crickets cricketing and breeze that slaps my face with a caring touch. Everything feels just right until the screams of one of my fellow schoolmates echoes from the insides of the castle to the garden. I look up from my notebook and everyone else looks as confused as i was. A brief pause until i see my school mate running from the corridor to the garden entrance, frantically screaming. She looks like she has seen a bloody ghost and takes a moment to breathe before shouting again. "THE SKY! THE SKY!" I turn around from where im seated and see that the sky apears red. That sure was unusual. I thought nothing of it and assumed that my schoolmate was out of her mind. Until the sound of air adding pressure to the clouds caught my attention which forced me to turn my head once more, and there i saw that the clouds darkened into a smoky gray color and multiple screams came out from the sky. The scene had been just enough for me to close my notebook, pocket my pen and get the hell out of there. All the students in the garden ran as quickly as they could to feel the relief of safety when they were under a sturdy roof. I was one of the many students that were panicking. One of our top students ran to find a supervisor to inform them of the recent events.

Our top student, Allison, hurried to find Miss Fallon in a panic, speaking quickly and unintentionally spitting as she talked. Miss Fallon, with a disgusted expression, wiped the saliva off her face and told Allison to calm down. Despite her efforts, Allison was still trembling. "Why are you all panicking? Haven't you heard the news?" Miss Fallon's words sparked whispers among my classmates as they exchanged curious glances. At that moment, the castle gates swung open, revealing the castle superior standing at the entrance to welcome the new visitors. To everyone's surprise, the visitors arrived in a dark oak sled that could accommodate over a hundred people. Among the visitors, a towering figure caught everyone's attention, standing at an impressive six feet seven inches, with long, bushy hair and an even longer beard. Dressed in a thick suit that resembled a blood-stained cape, the bushy man descended from the sled, while our castle superior approached him in a welcoming manner.

The two exchanged smiles and handshakes as a form of greeting. The burly man appeared to be a superior from another castle, given that the individuals accompanying him seemed to be students as well. Turning towards the students at our castle, the two superiors addressed our head. "Dear students of Crimson Castle, you are aware that there exist various enchanted castles for magical beings. Unfortunately, the students of FORTRESS had to evacuate their magnificent castle." As the news spread, the eyes of my classmates widened, and whispers filled the air. Among the commotion, I noticed a student trying to locate their friend, only to realize it was my closest companion, Malakai. "Victoria, I've been searching for you everywhere," I whispered to Kai. With a slight smile, I asked him, "Do you know who these people are?" Kai shook his head, and the representative from Fortress stepped forward to speak. "We apologize for the sudden intrusion, but Superior Sanctum informed us that we were welcome at Crimson Castle, and we are grateful for that." Kai gave me a puzzled look and quietly remarked, "Why are kids from Fortress here in Crimson Castle?" He sounded slightly judgmental. "Superior Sanctum mentioned that they were expelled from their fortress; I'm confused too." As the fortress students disembarked from their unusually large sled, I paused for a moment. 

A sudden chill swept through me, a mix of bewilderment and recognition struck me like a blow. Before I could utter a word, the fortress superior spoke once more. "These are my students, and we assure you that we will conduct ourselves respectfully as a token of gratitude to Sanctum!" I wasn't fully attentive to the fortress superior's words; my focus was drawn to a tall boy with green-blue eyes and brown hair from the opposing school. He seemed familiar, almost like someone I knew. As he conversed with his friends, his voice also rang a bell. Who could this boy be, and why do I sense familiarity? Kai seemed to notice my distraction because, before I could ponder further about the boy, he tapped my shoulder. "Are you okay?" Kai asks. I respond with an awkward smile and a slight shrug. My focus remains solely on that familiar boy. Once my eyes met his, a strange mix of discomfort and fear took over me. It felt like my lungs were constricting, rendering me unable to breathe or speak. As Miss Fallon approaches the area where the supervisors are gathered, she announces changes in roommate assignments for the new students. Despite hearing her instructions, my gaze remains fixed on the familiar boy. I register names being called by Miss Fallon, yet not even the most peculiar names could divert my attention. 

Everything sounded muffled and hazy. The uneasiness this boy evoked in me was alarming. I carefully examined him from head to toe, studying his face and body structure intently. Despite memorizing every detail, a sense of familiarity eluded me. Suddenly, a touch on my shoulder brought me back to reality. It was Kai, alerting me that Miss Fallon was calling my name. My senses returned, and I hurriedly made my way to the front. "Finally," remarked Miss Fallon. "Alright, and your roommate is Nicholas Savanger." Oh dear, that name – I detest it. The boy I had been observing was the same one who had nearly ended my life.