Prologue

"Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar

La Ilaha Illa Allah"

They heard the last call of the Azan through their radio. It was pretty late, around an hour and a half past midnight. Agastya had made sure they were able to track all the activities in the mosque.

"Boys! I know we all have had a long day. Just this last one, then y'all can go home." He looked at his troop, all of them worn out from staying in the hideout.

There was a scoop that the extreme communists were about to strike again, ruining the peace and integrity in Meghalaya. The armies were on alert for about a week and figured out that they were using religion to veil their real identity.

"Just make sure none of you die. Let's go get them." Agastya cautiously walked towards the mosque and gestured for the rest of them to follow him.

"Hail Mary Mata!" The army men whispered amongst each other and went behind their Captain.

"The sources say there are about ten men in there. No one of them should walk out alive." Agastya spoke on the headphones as the troop took their respective positions around the mosque, a few of them walking in.

"They are still in the prayer room. Over." Aniruddh, the second in charge of the unit informed through the walkie-talkie.

Agastya gestured to take the lead in the mosque, covering for the rest of his team. They soon climbed upstairs, only to be stopped by a closed door. They all waited for further orders as Agastya opened the door.

Someone from the hall screamed and the soldiers were greeted with a series of gunshots. Two of the soldiers went into the room through the bullets, the shields covering them.

As the other men were not prepared, they were going down rather quickly, but the crossfire was still intense. They could not afford to make it too noisy for longer.

Agastya saw that four of their men were down, and his team was somewhat injured from the shots. He then went into the hall, one of the soldiers covering him.

After Agastya was sure his men were away from the centre of the hall, he threw a grenade, and then two more.

"All down. Twelve of them." One of them walked to him from the hall after the smoke cleared. Agastya looked through the corpses, three of them seemed alive. He shot the two of them, but he hesitated with the third.

The third guy looked...familiar to him. He was unarmed too.

"Oh! God, no!" Agastya threw his gun on the floor and kneeled near the old man. The man was Biren, an acquaintance he had personally placed with the enemies. "Call the paramedics, quickly!

As he tried to lift the old man, he winced in pain. It was then that he realized that his arm had taken a bullet.

Two men in white coats and masks with a stretcher came in and had the man rush to their ambulance.

After finishing the formalities and getting his arm dressed, he rushed to the hospital where Biren was taken. He then got to know one of them had run away from the spot.

Agastya felt terrible, his leg constantly shaking against the floor of the car. He prayed for his namesake's uncle's survival, but considering his age and the circumstances, the chances were very thin.

He got in and heard a lady ask about Biren. With immense courage, he tapped on her shoulder. She immediately turned around, as if frightened by the mere touch. Her eyes were red-shot, but there was something calm on her features.

"I am Agastya Rai, Indian Army. We found your father in a crossfire." He cleared his throat. He gestured for her to lead the way as they walked through the corridor.

"Where?" She was barely audible, her voice violently shaking.

"I fear I cannot disclose the details. This way." He led them into the room where her father was being treated. The old man was breathing heavily, the machine whirring as loudly.

"Baba!" Megha dropped all her stuff and sat down, holding his hand tightly. Agastya walked to the other side of the bed, his nails scratching on his fingers.

"Me-Megha." His voice was faint but not weak. He raised his hand to hold her hand.

"I'm fi-fine." Biren whimpered

"But life–"

"Baba, get some rest. We'll talk once we go home okay? You need to recover." Megha's voice was breaking.

"Megha, listen to me." Biren removed his oxygen mask.

"Sir, I don't think that's a good idea," Agastya suggested.

"Agastya come here." Biren forwarded his hand toward the soldier.

"Baba, please! We will talk later." She tried to make him wear his mask while Agastya sat on the other side of the bed.

"It's important. This is Agastya. He saved my life. He is not only a good soldier but he is a good human too. His parents used to live next to us. I know him."

"I want you to marry him, Megha."