15

MARI

I would never think to visit such an event. I can't understand this men's craving for maiming someone or for being injured themselves. What for? To shed energy overages? Well, there are so many much more pleasant ways to do it. But this experience is still interesting for a change. We pull into a small parking lot for the participants where Dina, Javad and an unknown girl are already waiting for us. I notice in surprise that I start to see difference between the overly wrapped women who looked similar before. I eagerly hug my friend and she introduces me her companion – this is Javad's beigaly Miriam. I watch the girls chatting perplexed with the absence of jealous or competing between them. It's so weird to me, unacceptable even, because it should be only me and no one else in the relationship. Or do it without me, guys. By the way, it's a one more reason not to fall for Kiram's charm, harem is absolutely not my thing.

Kir says something in Palerian to his friend meanwhile, whilst everybody was talking Aranian before for my sake as I get it. I'm watching Dina questioningly in hope to hear the translation: it's something definitely not meant for my ears, so it's twice more enticing. Dina checks if the guys are looking at us and then whispers to me:

- Kiram honored Javad with entering the close family circle, – oh yeah, now everything's utterly clear! Dina gets it that her explanations didn't make it any more comprehensible and adds. – It's a ritual phrase, it means that Javad can see your face and talk to you now as a close friend and relative. Also he takes the responsibility for you if Kiram's not there. You know, he has to leave you alone during the fight.

- Are they relatives? – I'm a bit surprised.

- Second cousins. And the sworn brothers besides.

I'd never tell that. But it doesn't matter indeed. We're entering quite big and shabby building of the sport club. Dina with her family heads towards the main hall where the show will take place itself, what about me and Kir we're going to a personal changing room. A manager who met us explains where and when Kiram should come. Kir translates it and I'm trying to keep up, because the hallways are winding and tangled here and I'm the only one who can see of the two of us.

The changing room turns out to be a tiny closet with a small couch, but it has as tiny shower room, where my companion hides straight away. When he leaves it, he's already wearing the sport shorts, gloves and... flip-flops?

- Why are you wearing slippers? – I can't hold my curiosity back. – I thought the boxers should be wearing trainers.

He turns my way in surprise as if he forgot of my presence.

- It's MMA not boxing. It's barefoot.

We have like half an hour before we have to go, so I'm taking the niqab of. The necessity to wear this thing all the time is a mere torture to me. Kir's a bit on edge, warming up. I'm trying to read an article about the fights without rules to understand what's going on at least remotely, and I'm doing it in attempt to distract myself from such a perfect body right in front of my eyes of course. Honestly I'm real bad at it. My eyes are living its own life constantly getting back to the boy. When Kir is finally done with his exercises, he's landing by me side. Way too close as for me.

- Will you wish me good luck? – He asks unexpectedly.

- Do you really need it? You move like a demon without any luck.

- Confess you were watching me in the gym, – he smirks.

- No, not of course. – I answer pretty dispassionately. – But the way you react to the moving it tells a whole lot. Besides you wouldn't get to the final if you wouldn't be that super cool, – today I was amazed to know from Dina that the guy is not just some lame sportsman, but he's five minutes to the champion and genius. – It's time, – I say taking a look at my tablet.