Chapter Twelve

POV: Xandor Galadon

Was it dramatic?

Yes.

Without a thought. But that was where all the fun came from.

Standing in front of Dâmoren, I observed the scene around me. There were many dragons and their riders scattered everywhere. On my right side were the newly bonded ones and on the left the senior riders.

Somewhere on my left I could feel the presence of Codagh, General Melgren's dragon. He was the second largest dragon on the field and the eldest of the den after Dâmoren. Turning back around to Dâmoren, I gently petted his snout and he huffed warm air against my body. Even though I could hardly be affected by high or low temperatures, I still enjoyed the warmth of his body against the chilly autumn air.

Lowering my hand and grabbing my spear, I stepped away from my dragon and toward the dais with the scroll keeper. Though I entered after the official ceremony, I was more than sure that I could enter our names.

The atmosphere was filled with loud chattering and when I passed the riders and Dragons. I ignored the pointed fingers and the awe and fear filled glances.

On another site of the field I saw a large group of cadets. The unbonded.

They could always try and steal Dâmoren from me. The thought made me smile under my hood. I wasn't the one who in danger, most of the eyes would be directed towards Violet because of her weak appearance.

Almost reaching the dais where the generals and professors stood upon and discussed wildly, a big, clawed foot stepped into my path, stopping me. A black one.

Ignoring the gasps around me, I raised my head and looked into the golden eyes of Codagh. He lowered his head until he was right in front of me and blinked at me expectantly.

A small smile appeared on my lips and I reached out and touched his nuzzle. Codagh pressed his snout stronger against my hand when I gently petted his snout. Like I said. Dragons were sometimes like big cats.

A low growl from Dâmoren made Codagh gift him a defiant look, but he stepped back reluctantly. Looking back at the dais I noticed General Melgren staring at me in shock and anger. There was something different in his eyes. Fear.

He feared for his position.

I took the last few steps until I stood in front of the female roll keeper, who looked up at me with wide eyes, an array of emotions swirling in her eyes. She needed a few seconds to gather herself before grabbing a pen.

"Xan-Xandor Galadon?" I nodded at her question, and she began to scribble in the Book of Riders. "For the record, please tell me the name of the dragon who chose you," she stuttered, her eyes snapping between me and Dâmoren.

I gestured for her to hand me the book and after a few moments of confused staring, she handed both the pen and the book to me. I quickly entered his name and gave it back, all under the watchful eyes of every rider, cadet, and general.

"D-Dâmorenneanan?" She spoke out, the name breaking on her tongue. I could feel Dâmoren's displeasure of the wrong pronunciation through the bond, but I nodded nonetheless. Stepping back and pulling out my spear from the ground, I quickly glanced up at the dais before returning to Dâmoren, ignoring the protests of the generals.