Chapter Nine

POV: Xandor Galadon

The challenges over the next few weeks were easy to say the least. But it would be embarrassing if not. I do have to admit that I watched some really good and entertaining fights, but mine were always short. Since blades were allowed, I only used my trusted spear and disarmed my opponent. Killing wasn't in.

After the challenges, the Gauntlet came. It was fun climbing it. Our squad lost one in the first session but none in the following after.

Today was Presentation Day. In order to get to the flight field, we'd have to climb the Gauntlet first. Everything about the Riders Quadrant is designed to weed out the weak, and today was no exception.

******

POV: Violet Sorrengail

I didn't realize Heaton actually knew how to speak. Two lines appeared between Ridocs brows. "Maybe the figure they should at least say hi before we're potentially roasted today," Rhiannon said. "And don't forget that Xandor doesn't speak either. Where is he anyway?"

The same thought crosses my mind, but Dains order stopped it from developing. "Back into formation."

The eight of us fell into two lines of four, the same as the other squads around us. "We're the biggest squad," Ridoc noted behind us as the squads farthest left - from First Wing - filed out through the western gate in the courtyard. "What are we down to?" Tynan asked. "Hundred and eighty?"

"Hundred and seventy-two," Dain answered. Squads from Second Wing began to move, led my their wingleader, which meant Xaden was somewhere ahead of us. My nerves were reserved for the obstacle course, but I couldn't help but wonder which way his scales would tip today.

"For a hundred dragons? But what will we-" Trina asked, nerves cutting off her words.

"Stop letting fear leach your voice," Luca snapped from behind Rhiannon. "If the dragons think you're a coward, you'll be nothing but a name tomorrow."

"She says," Ridoc narrated, inducing more fear.

"Shut up," Luca fired back. "You know its true."

"Just portray confidence, and I'm sure you'll be fine." I leaned forward so our squadmates behind us couldn't hear me as Third Wing began to march for the gate. "Thanks," Trina whispered in reply. Dains narrowed gaze finally locked on mine, but at least he didn't call me a liar. There was enough accusation in his eyes that I might as well be tried and convinced of it, though.

"Nervous, Rhi?" I asked, knowing we were about to be called next. "For you?" she asksed. "Not at all. We've got this."

"Oh, I meant about the history test tomorrow," I teased. There was nothing going on today to panic about.

"Now that you mention it, the whole Treat of Arif might just be the death of me." She grinned. "Aah, the agreement between Navarre and Krovla for mutually shared airspace for both dragons and gryphons over a narrow strip of the Esben Mountains, between Sumerton and Draithus."

"Your memory is terrifying." She shot me a smile. "But my memory isn't going to get me up the Gauntlet."

"Fourth Wing!" Xaden called out from somewhere in the distance. I didn't even need to see to know that it was him who gave the order and not his executive officer. "Move out!"