Chapter Six

POV: Xandor Galadon

The sun shone in the massive, teardrop formed courtyard. I had noticed that many pairs of eyes had wandered in my direction, but they were not able to find me.

I couldn't be found if I didn't want to be.

The unnatural storm had finally come to an end and the clouds broke apart. On the right from the parapet was a stone dais on which stood two uniformed men, equipped with many medals. Never been a fan of these little things.

On my right a can see a short woman with familiar braided hair making her way through the crowd and towards Rhiannon, who conversed with another girl whose jet-black hair that was stylishly short.

I watched the three women talk and the hours slowly trickled by. When the last candidate walked into the courtyard, I slightly rolled my eyes. Why did this always take so long. Probably of all the name signing.

I focused again on Violet and her friends. My gut told me that she would play an important role in the future.

She was focused on Xaden Riorson who made his way through the crowd, which willingly parted for him. Looked like he either had some kind of reputation or image.

"Three hundred and one of you have survived the parapet to become cadets today," the Commandant starts with a politician's smile. I never like those. "Good job. Sixty-seven did not."

I wondered how the parents still allowed their children to do this and why kids would want to do this by themselves. I didn't want to be the one who had to deliver the news.

Violet's conversation with her friends distracted me from the Commanders welcoming speech. Even though I stood on the other side od the courtyard, hidden in the shadows, I could understand and see them perfectly in the middle of the crowd.

"I've heard this position is just a stepping stone for him," the black-haired woman whispered. "He wants Sorrengail's job, then General Melgren's."

Who was this Melgren dude? I've heard his name a few times by now. Another politician? I didn't like politicians.

"General Melgren's?" Rhiannon asked.

That General Melgren seemed to be quite well known.

"He'll never have it," Violet interjected. "Melgre'ns dragon gives him the signet ability to see a battles outcome before it happens. There's no beating that, and you can't be assassinated of you know it's coming." That was surely interesting. A man who looked into the future and was unbeatable.

Signet powers didn't work on me. Never did. Don't ask how I found that out. It was painful but not fatal. (Un)fortunately.

And I never tried to bond with a dragon after the first riders had found out that they could be gifted unnatural powers. As if I hadn't already enough of them.

"As the Codex says, now you begin the true crucible!" The Commander shouts. I think he liked the attention. "You'll be tested by your superiors, hunted by your peers, and guided by your instincts." Yes, instincts that tell you to stay the hell away from me. "If you survive the Threshing, and you are chosen, you will be riders. Then we'll see how many of you make it to graduation."

I've never made it till Threshing. That would be interesting.

"Your instructors will teach you," the Commander spoke. There was nothing anyone can teach me. Live for eons and you know everything.

"It's up to you how well you learn. Discipline falls to your units, and your wingleader is the last word. If I have to get involved...you dont want me to be involved."