Lydia felt a sense of injustice as she watched Anne return to her seat, her frustration palpable. She couldn't shake off the feeling that her friend deserved better treatment.

-+-

Later that day, around lunchtime, Anne and Lydia found themselves sitting alone. Diana had vanished, and Lydia couldn't fathom where she had gone.

"Are you okay?" Lydia asked, her concern evident as she placed a comforting hand on Anne's shoulder.

Anne managed a weak smile in response. "I will be fine," she reassured Lydia.

Accepting Anne's words, Lydia nodded and offered her a comforting side hug. They sat together in silence until Diana's voice broke through their solitude.

"Lydia! Anne!"

Startled, Lydia and Anne turned their heads towards Diana, who was waving them over. Exchanging glances, they both rose from their seats and followed Diana's voice.

"Come here!" Josie's voice chimed in, coaxing them forward.

They approached Diana, who stood beside a makeshift door fashioned from a sheet. With a gesture, Diana pulled back the sheet, revealing Josie waiting on the other side.

"I thought lunchtime would never arrive," Josie exclaimed, her excitement palpable.

Lydia settled beside Rudy, while Anne joined Diana on the other side.

"I feel the same way!" Anne exclaimed cheerfully, eager to engage with her new friends.

"I'm just so excited to hear about everything that you both saw!" Josie chimed in, her enthusiasm is contagious.

"Me too," Ruby smiled.

"Me three!" Tillie added.

"What do you mean?" Anne questioned.

"Prissy and Mr. Phillips, silly," Josie said. "In the supply room."

"I told them about the pet mouse," Diana added.

The girls started to giggle.

"It's just all so shocking," Josie said in amazement.

"I wasn't too sure about it, though, so I thought maybe you could tell them," Diana told Anne.

They all chuckled.

"I just can't believe it!" Ruby said.

"Me neither!" Tillie agrees.

"Prissy and Mr. Phillips are having intimate relations, all right!" Anne giggled.

They started to giggle together.

"It's a pretty common occurrence," Anne added.

"But you don't think she touched it, do you?" Ruby asked.

"His pet mouse?" Anne questioned.

They all burst into laughter.

Billy and his friends leaned against the window, peering into the girls' domain with mischievous grins.

"I spy with my little eye-" Billy began, but he was abruptly cut off by one of the girls.

"Go away!" shouted the girl, her face turning red with frustration.

"Stop spying!" another girl chimed in, her voice filled with irritation.

In response, the girls grabbed nearby acorns and hurled them at the boys, aiming with precision.

"Stupid boys!" Diana yelled, her voice echoing with indignation.

The girls huddled together, exchanging worried glances and murmuring among themselves.