𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

WARNING: This chapter will contain upsetting flashbacks on one of the characters, including brief scenes of human trafficking.

Carrie's heart raced as she read the message, her hands trembling. Who could be sending her such a sinister message? Was someone watching her every move, even when she was with her own grandmother?

With a deep breath, she composed a response to the mysterious sender, feigning ignorance. "I think you may have the wrong number."

A notification sounded.

"I beg to differ. She's your grandmother, isn't she?"

Dread crept in Carrie as she read the response. How did this person know about her grandmother? Panic set in as she realized the gravity of the situation. Someone was watching her, someone who knew intimate details about her life.

Her worst fears were confirmed. The haunting memories of a past stalker resurfaced, flooding her mind with a chilling sense of déjà vu. Carrie's heart raced as she realized that history was repeating itself. She was being stalked once again.

Attempting to steady her trembling hands, Carrie cautiously typed out her next message. "How did you manage to escape?"

Seconds ticked by before a response from the unknown sender appeared on her screen. "What do you mean?"

Carrie's frustration mingled with her fear as she fired back, her words laced with accusation. "Don't play dumb, Chris. I know it's you."

Confusion clouded the unknown sender's reply. "Who's Chris?"

Realization dawned on Carrie as she re-read the messages. Could it really not be Chris, her previous stalker? Was she jumping to conclusions out of fear? The uncertainty gnawed at her, leaving her feeling vulnerable and exposed.

As she grappled with the unsettling situation, Carrie's mind raced with questions. Who was this mysterious sender, and what did they want from her? How had they managed to gather such personal information about her and her grandmother? And most importantly, how could she protect herself from this new threat?

With a sinking feeling in her stomach, Carrie knew that she was once again caught in a dangerous game of cat and mouse. The stakes were higher this time, and she couldn't afford to make any mistakes. As she braced herself for the challenges ahead, Carrie vowed to stay vigilant and fight back against the shadowy figure who was lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike.

She made her way back to her apartment while on occasion looking at her surroundings in case something or someone popped up.

But unbeknownst to her, a hooded man was standing in an empty alleyway, watching her.

~

"Are we making any progress?" Robbie inquired, pausing outside a nearby store.

"I can't say for certain," Rachel responded, emerging from the women's restroom.

For the past three days, they had been diligently pursuing the enigmatic magenta light, yet its purpose remained elusive.

Rachel stepped into the restroom, finding it vacant, but she had no intention of using the facilities. Instead, she gazed at her reflection in the somewhat grimy mirror. The person staring back at her was a far cry from the girl she had been just a few years ago, plagued by exhaustion with shadows beneath her blue eyes and a gaunt face devoid of nourishment. Her attire had also undergone a significant transformation, now more modest compared to her previous revealing outfits.