Chapter 9, Book 2, "Duelling and Parseltongue"

Start from the beginning

"Maybe it can make itself invisible," says Harry. "Or maybe it can disguise itself - pretend to be a suit of armour or something -"

"I've read about Chameleon Ghosts -" says Hermione, prodding leeches to the bottom of the cauldron.

"You read too much, Hermione," says Ron, pouring dead lacewings on top of the leeches. He crumples up the empty lacewing bag and looks at Harry.

"So Dobby stopped us from getting on the train and broke your arm...." He shakes his head. "You know what, Harry? If he doesn't stop trying to save your life he's going to kill you."

Timeskip

The news that Colin Creevey has been attacked and is now lying as though dead in the hospital wing has spread through the entire school by Monday morning. The air is suddenly thick with rumours and suspicion. The first years are now moving around the castle in tight-knit groups, as though scared they will be attacked if they venture forth alone.

Ginny, who sits next to Colin Creevey in Charms, is distraught, but Harry feels that Fred and George are going the wrong way about cheering her up. They are taking turns covering themselves with fur or boils and jumping out at her from behind statues. They only stop when Polaris, angry and annoyed, tells them he'll kill them if they do it again.

Meanwhile, hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade in talismans, amulets, and other protective devices is sweeping the school. Neville Longbottom buys a large, evil-smelling green onion, a pointed purple crystal, and a rotting newt tail before the other Gryffindor boys point out that he is in no danger; he is a pureblood, and therefore unlikely to be attacked.

"They went for Filch first," Neville says, his round face fearful. "And everyone knows I'm almost a Squib."

In the second week of December Professor McGonagall comes around as usual, collecting names of those who will be staying at school for Christmas. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sign her list; they hear that Malfoy is staying at the school with Polaris, which strikes them as very suspicious. The holidays would be the perfect time to use the Polyjuice Potion and try to worm a confession out of him.

Unfortunately, the potion is only half finished. They still need the bicorn horn and the boomslang skin, and the only place they are going to get them is from Snape's private stores. Harry privately feels he'd rather face Slytherin's legendary monster than let Snape catch him robbing his office.

"What we need," says Harry briskly as Thursday afternoon's double Potions lesson looms nearer, "is a diversion. Then one of us can sneak into Snape's office and take what we need."

Ron and Hermione look at him nervously.

"I think I'd better do the actual stealing," Hermione continues in a matter-of-fact tone. "You two will be expelled if you get into any more trouble, and I've got a clean record. So all you need to do is cause enough mayhem to keep Snape busy for five minutes or so."

Harry smiles feebly. Deliberately causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class is about as safe as poking a sleeping dragon in the eye, but it'll be fun nonetheless.

Five minutes later, Harry is approaching Polaris, who is leaning against a wall. "Hey, Polaris, I want to cause mischief in Snape's class. Do you have anything that can cause a big show?" Harry asks quietly. Polaris nods "I do. A Filibuster firework should cause a massive scene. If you want it to be an even bigger scene, try getting it in someone's cauldron." He says, reaching into his pocket of his Slytherin robes and pulling out a firework. "Since you are my friend, I'll let you have this one for free." Polaris says, handing Harry the firework.