Chapter 4, Book 1, "The first week"

The transfiguration classroom
September 2nd, 1991
9:00 am

Today was the first day of classes. Polaris is sitting in the middle of the class, next to Fred and George, who are joking around with each other. Professor McGonagall enters the room and starts the lesson "Today, we are going to talk about animagus'. Can anyone tell me what an animagus is?" she asks. Cedric Diggory raises his hand "An animagus is a witch or wizard who can transform at will into an animal." he says sounds cool Polaris thinks to himself "Correct, Mr. Diggory." Professor McGonagall says "Now, I'll demonstrate how an animagus transforms" McGonagall continues. McGonagall quickly turns into a tabby cat, and jumps onto her desk. After jumping off her desk, McGonagall changes back into herself. Everyone claps, including Polaris, who is intrigued "Thank you. Now, are there any questions?" McGonagall asks. Polaris raises his hand "Yes, Mr. Lestrange?" "How does someone become an animagus?" Polaris asks "Well, you first keep a mandrake leaf in your mouth for a month. Then you take a teaspoon of dew that hasn't been touched by both humans and sunlight. Then, while waiting for the potion to form, you must say 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus' every sunrise and sunset until you feel a second heartbeat where your wand is at your chest. You then have to wait for a thunderstorm to happen. When it happens, grab your potion, and say the incantation and then drink the potion, Why?" McGonagall asks suspiciously "I'm just curious." Polaris lies smoothly "Alright, then." says McGonagall, still looking at Polaris suspiciously.

Later that week
The Great Hall
September 6th, 1991
8:30 am

Polaris walks in the Great Hall and spots Harry and Ron. Polaris walks up to them "Hey," Polaris says to the boys, who jump and turn around "Bloody hell, Polaris." Ron says, startled "Sorry for scaring you two, I'm just checking in on ya." Polaris says in an apologetic tone " Well, it's been alright I guess, except for the fact that this place is a maze and the fact that Quirrell's lessons are a joke." Harry says "Hey, we all get lost at first, but once you memorize routes to places, it gets easier." Polaris says, trying to comfort Harry "Hey Ron, What have we got today?" Harry asks as he pours sugar into his porridge. "Double Potions with the Slytherins," Ron replies. "Snape's Head of Slytherin House. They say he always favors him - we'll be able to see if it's true."
"Well, it is. If you aren't a Slytherin and you step out of line, he'll notice, and take away points or give out detention" Polaris confirms "Wish McGonagall favored us," Ron says. Just then, the mail arrives.
Hedwig hasn't brought Harry anything so far. She sometimes flies in to nibble his ear and have a bit of toast before going off to sleep in the owlery with the other school owls. This morning, however, she flutters down between the marmalade and the sugar bowl and drops a note onto Harry's plate. Harry tears it open at once. It says, in a very untidy scrawl:

Dear Harry,

I know you get Friday afternoons off, so would you like to come and have a cup of tea with me around three? I want to hear all about your first week. Send us an answer back with Hedwig.

Hagrid

Harry borrows Ron's quill, scribbles Yes, please, see you later on the back of the note, and sends Hedwig off again.

Harry's POV
The potions classroom
September 6th, 1991
9:00 am

Once everyone sits down in the dungeon, Professor Snape starts to take roll, like Flitwick. Now, I thought that Professor Snape disliked me, but it turns out, he hates me. When Snape gets to my name, he pauses dramatically "Ah, yes," he says softly, "Harry Potter. Our new - celebrity." Malfoy and his friends snigger behind their hands. Snape finishes calling the names and looks up at the class. His eyes are black like Hagrid's, but they have none of Hagrid's warmth. They are cold and empty and make you think of dark tunnels. "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," he begins. He speaks in barely more than a whisper, but I caught every word - like Professor McGonagall, Snape has the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses....I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." More silence follows this little speech. Ron and I exchange looks with raised eyebrows. Hermione Granger is on the edge of her seat and looks desperate to start proving that she isn't a dunderhead. "Potter!" says Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Powdered root of what to an infusion of what? I glance at Ron, who looks as stumped as I am; Hermione's hand has shot into the air. "I don't know, sir," I say.