Chapter 1, Book 1, "Getting school supplies"

July 31, 1991
Diagon Alley

It's been a decade since Polaris saw his parents. With one in Azkaban and the other potentially dead, Polaris lives with his Aunt Narcissa and Uncle Lucius with his cousin Draco. Today, the four are going to Diagon Alley to get their school supplies "Alright Polaris, you and Draco go to Madame Malkins, while I look for your school books and your aunt will be looking at wands, meet us at Potage's Cauldron Shop when both of you are done." Uncle Lucius orders "Yes, Uncle Lucius." Polaris responds, leading Draco to Madame Malkins.

"Hogwarts, dears?" asks Madame Malkin politely when they enter the shop, "Yes, he is going to be a first year, and I need new Slytherin robes." replies Polaris "Well, up on the stool dears." Madame Malkin instructs the two boys. After a minute of being fitted, Polaris hears someone approaching the shop.

When the door opens, Polaris looks towards the door and sees a scrawny boy with unruly black hair, green eyes, and glasses that were taped together. "Hogwarts, dear?" Madame Malkin asks the boy, who nods "well, come along then, on the stool" Madame Malkin says, pointing to the stool between Draco and Polaris.

The boy steps up on the stool and Draco engages in a conversation with him "Hello, Hogwarts, too?" "Yes," replies the boy

"My father's next door buying our books and mother's up the street looking at wands. Then I'm going to drag them off to look at racing brooms. I don't see why first years can't have their own. I think I'll bully father into getting me one and I'll smuggle it in somehow." Draco drawls. Polaris notices the boy looks uncomfortable and says "Draco, you don't need to brag to every single person you meet, you know. And also, the reason why first years can't have brooms is because some first years don't know how to use them."

the boy looks at Polaris with a grateful look "I'm still gonna try and smuggle it in Polaris, and you can't stop me. Anyways, have you got your own broom?" Draco says, pointing the question towards the unknown boy

"No," says the boy quietly "Play quidditch at all?" Draco asks. Before the boy could answer, Polaris interrupts again "Draco, stop, you're making him uncomfortable." Draco looks at Polaris with an annoyed expression "I'm not, and also I'm just curious." "Ok, sure." replies Polaris with a sarcastic tone.

"Know what house you'll be in yet?" "No," says the boy, clearly uncomfortable. "Well, no one really knows until they get there, do they, but I know I'll be in Slytherin, all our family have been - imagine being in Hufflepuff, I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?" "Hey, Hufflepuffs are super cool, one of them helped me find my way to a class on my first day." replies Polaris.

"Of course you think that." Draco grumbles "I say, look at that man!" he says suddenly. Outside, was a massive man with wild hair and warm black eyes "That's Hagrid" the boy says "I've heard of him. He's sort of a servant, isn't he?" Draco asks "He's the gamekeeper." Polaris replies "Yes, exactly. I heard he's sort of a savage - lives in a hut on the school grounds and every now and then he gets drunk, tries to do magic, and ends up setting fire to his bed." Draco responds to his older cousin's statement

"Hey, he's really nice. Sometimes I go over there to keep him company, he also has a boarhound who's a sweetheart." Polaris defends "Well I think he's brilliant," the boy says cooly "Do you?" Draco sneers slightly "Why is he with you? Where are your parents?" he asks bluntly

"They're dead," the boy says with a look on his face that Polaris knew as the look of someone who didn't want to talk about something. "Oh, sorry," Draco says in an uncaring tone "But they were our kind, weren't they?" he asks with a bit of hate in his voice "Draco, you can't ask people that. It's rude." Polaris scolds