Chapter 5, Book 1, "My cousin is an asshole"

The Great Hall
September 12th, 1991
8:00 am

Back to third person POV

Today is flying lessons for the first year Slytherins, who are having it with the Gryffindors. Polaris is visiting the Gryffindor table to give advice on the first years. Since all the Slytherins are rich pure bloods (except Polaris himself, since he's a halfblood), they all knew how to fly a broom, but some of the first years in Gryffindor doesn't "My advice is to be confident. If you aren't confident, the broom won't listen to you. I figured this out when I took flying lessons, and trust me, even with the Slytherins, it won't be that bad." Polaris says to Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom, who are both nervous about flying a broom "Thanks, Polaris." Neville says. Suddenly, the mail came, Castor (Polaris's phoenix) swoops down and drops a package full of sweets, along with a letter in front of Polaris. Polaris notices the handwriting on the envelope, it is his mother's handwriting. "Well, I gotta go. Have fun with flying lessons!" Polaris says, before exiting the hall. After finding a secluded spot, Polaris tears open the letter:

Dear Polaris,
How are you holding up at that pathetic school run by that mudblood lover Dumbledore? I hope you are sticking with other purebloods, and nobody else. Azkaban is hell, like usual, especially since my cousin Sirius is in a cell nearby. Anyways, I have a request for you: Do you mind sending me a picture of yourself? It's been a few years since I last saw your face. I'd love to see how much you have grown up.
With love,
Your mother, Bellatrix Lestrange

"A-Are y-you ok?" someone asks Polaris, who jumps and quickly puts the letter into his pocket. "I'm alright, don't scare me like that." Polaris says, looking up. The person speaking to him is Professor Quirrell "I-I just saw you r-rushing out of the h-hall, and I-I was w-wondering if you were a-alright." Quirrell says "I'm alright, professor. I just needed to read a letter in private." Polaris says "Oh, I-I'll leave you to it, then" Quirrell says, leaving the room.

Harry's POV
The Great Hall
September 12th, 1991
8:00 am

I see Polaris rush out of the hall, after getting a letter from this white and yellow bird. I wonder what's up with that I think to myself. A barn owl then brings Neville a small package from his grandmother. He opens it excitedly and shows us a glass ball the size of a large marble, which seems to be full of white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" he explains. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh..." His face falls, because the Remembrall suddenly glows scarlet, "...you've forgotten something..."

Neville is trying to remember what he'd forgotten when Malfoy, who is passing the Gryffindor table, snatches the Remembrall out of his hand.

Ron and I jump to our feet. We were half hoping for a reason to fight Malfoy, but Professor McGonagall, who can spot trouble quicker than any teacher in the school, Is there in a flash.

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."

Scowling, Malfoy quickly drops the Remembrall back on the table.

"Just looking," he says, and he slopes away with Crabbe and Goyle behind him.

At three-thirty this afternoon, Ron and I, along with the other Gryffindors hurry down the front steps onto the grounds for their first flying lesson. It is a clear, breezy day, and the grass ripples under our feet as we march down the sloping lawns towards a smooth, flat lawn on the opposite side of the grounds to the forbidden forest, whose trees are swaying darkly in the distance. The Slytherins are already there, and so are twenty broomsticks lying in neat lines on the ground. I have heard Fred and George complain about the school brooms, saying that some of them start to vibrate if you flew too high, or always flew slightly to the left.