Chapter 6.2 - Hard-Arse High-Level Corporate Executive

Start from the beginning

The Red Caste people wore standard white worker apparel with the blue Omni-Corp logo prominently displayed below the right shoulder. Zach and I wore typical business executive clothing — black slacks, gray buttoned shirt, and a black suit coat. I also wore clear, wrap-around data glasses that projected code before my eyes and carried a stolen tablet-viewer. I actually didn't need them, but they fit the profile of a computer security expert.

Because of entry number restrictions, Rico and Grange remained on the shuttle while everyone else entered the station through a short docking tunnel. Greta carried a briefcase, posing as Zach's personal assistant. Two workers, a man and woman, in white uniforms awaited us within a well-lit docking bay.

"Welcome, sir," said a short, auburn-haired woman with hands clasped behind her back. "My name is Mia. We are here to escort you. Is there anything we may get you?" Mia extended a hand, but Zach merely scowled at her. Gulping, she withdrew her hand.

"Let's dispense with the niceties, Mia." Zach grumbled, playing the role of an impatient executive. "I wish to wrap this up as quickly as possible."

"Yes, sir," Mia responded, bowing her head. "If you would follow me to the entry security station?"

To enter the station proper from the docking ring, we had to pass through a security screening. First, they checked our corporate identification badges, which I had altered to match our genetic profiles. No problem. The regulations prohibited bringing in our own com-viewer, instead they provided us with temporary devices while within the station. In short order, I hacked the coms so the station security staff could not monitor them.

But the part that most concerned me was the physical scans. The Red Caste members had insisted on bringing plasma blasters, shaped like rods and hidden within their uniforms. I argued long and hard that if our plans went wrong, no amount of weaponry would save us. The detection risk was far greater, but I was overruled.

Now, I had to hack the scanner on the fly, and before we walked through. But small AIs like that controlling the scanner were actually difficult to access remotely. As the blue uniformed female guard motioned for Greta to pass through the oval-shaped device, my widened eyes shot up to Zach. I was not ready.

Zach understood, and he reached out to stop Greta with a hand on her shoulder. "Is this necessary?" he huffed to the young guard, drawing down eyebrows as he played the hard-arse high-level corporate executive. "We have important work to do and no time for this."

"I'm sorry, sir," the guard answered with a trembling lip. "But it is necessary. No one can enter without proper screening."

Zach gave me the extra moment I needed to connect and mentally disable the scanner function. It would appear to function properly, but nothing now would set off the alarm. Glancing up again at Zach, I gave him a slight nod.

"Of course," Zach said with a smile. "That was a security test, which you passed. Well done."

A relieved smile appeared on the guard's face. "Oh, thank you, sir."

After walking through the scanner without incident, we entered a large airy plaza that bustled with activity. With colorful murals decorating the curved walls, a burbling water feature swimming with koi fish, numerous fragrant flower boxes, and a shiny metallic sculpture in the middle, the plaza was aesthetically pleasing to the senses. Clusters of soft chairs supported small group conversations. At the back, rows of tall tables surrounded a snack and beverage bar. Above it all, a blue Omni-Corp holographic logo shimmered.

We didn't stop there, instead passing along a row of small transparent-walled conference rooms. A tall woman with short, chopped white hair rose from an oval glass table to greet Zach, extending a hand. "Welcome, Mr. Green, I am Helena Rafe, Coronis Station Director." When stern-faced Zach did not extend a hand in return, she gulped and withdrew hers. "With me is our security director, Gideon Lief." She did not introduce the white-uniformed young woman about my age with short, curly dark hair who stood stiffly to one side. With a touch of a button, Helena turned the conference room walls dark-gray opaque.