Showing Gratitude

The pair of guys found themselves walking in the lively downtown of the city. Jin had let go of Namjoon's hand but the lawyer could still feel a tickling sensation on his wrist. His cheeks had returned to their original colour, but the fluttering butterflies in his chest were something Namjoon planned to discuss with his friends. 

On the other hand, all Jin could think about was his grumbling stomach. All the food vendors and restaurants were opening their doors, making the delicious smell of homemade food exit the streets. 

"Now, that's what I'm talking about," Jin pointed at a tteokbokki stand. "Divorce always gives me an appetite and this place is delicious. " He said as they both walked towards the small stand.

"Talking about the divorce... why did you do that?" Namjoon said in a serious manner.

"Do what?"

"You sabotaged the deal."

"Sorry, I'm eating, I can't hear you," Jin replied while stuffing his cheeks with the spicy rice cakes. 

Namjoon grabbed a napkin and gave it to Seojin before continuing. "I'm not joking Seokjin, why did you give her the money?"

"Because..." Jin swallowed and dabbed his lips with the tissue. "She'd never stop until she got what she wanted. And, aren't you always telling me I have a responsibility towards those less fortunate than myself?"

"Everybody is less fortunate than you. I rather see you give the money to someone who's not gonna spend it on, I don't know, shoes? collagen? hair dye?" 

The CEO paused squinting his eyes at the lawyer. "That's very interesting..." He took another bite of his food. "You only want me to be generous to those you approve of. I'd say that's rather hypocritical-"

"You know that's not true. But we are digressing. My point is, I only want you to allow me to do my job." Namjoon's voice was lacking that warmness it usually had, if Jin didn't know better he would have assumed that the brunette was upset or even angry. 

"If it makes you feel better, you did your job. This morning I was married, and now I'm not. In fact, you did your job superbly."

Namjoon shook his head. He wouldn't call his performance today successful, much less 'superb'. Taking into consideration that the meeting ended up with him drenched in a cold brew of coffee, the expectations were below ground level. 

"I mean it Joon, you were amazing!" he thanked the lady from the food stand and paid for the food.  "Keep the change," Jin said as he flashed a smile which made the lady laugh.

Namjoon took notice of the nickname Jin had given him. But the lawyer was quick to brush it off as he saw the old lady gasping at the $100 bill handed to her. Maybe this was Jin's way to show that he did care for others. But the lawyer wasn't buying this small display of kindness.

 "Are we going to go back to the office? I rather you drop me off at home. I've got to change out of these clothes." Namjoon said coldly.

"Actually, We don't have time, I need your help with something very important."

"Then, I'll just take the bus to-"

"Not at all, you must accompany me. I really do need your professional opinion on this matter." Jin pleaded.

-------------------------

To say he felt like a fish out of water would be an underestimation. Namjoon looked around at all the items in the store surrounding him. The mannequins had clothes he had only seen in Western movies with millionaires and money heists. It felt surreal to think there were people with the capacity to spend thousands of dollars on an item without feeling remorse.