Chapter 16

Isolde clung to her sheet, her face was void of emotions as she sighed heavily. The click of the door opening reached her ears, but she didn't bother to turn around; she simply wasn't interested in entertaining any extra body. The weight of the secret spilled to her a few days ago still laid heavy on her chest, dragging her down into a gloomy abyss.

"I don't want to talk," Isolde spoke as Selena approached her.
"Well, your food is getting cold. You need strength, Isolde," Selena complained, her expression laced with concern.
"I don't care about food right now. Just leave me," Isolde persisted. Just then, she felt Selena's presence dissolve, only to hear her grant another person entry to her room.
"You can come in now. Maybe she will talk to you," Isolde heard Selena say to someone as she exited.

Aaron's blonde hair came into view, and Isolde quickly sat up in defense. "Trust me, you are the last person I want to see right now," she said to a worried-looking Aaron. He was dressed in a luxurious maroon robe that cascaded elegantly around his feet.
"Your outfit is an eyesore; all I see is red," Isolde complained, aiming to sound harsh, but her remark only drew a deep chuckle from Aaron. He noticed the frown creeping onto her face and recomposed himself.
"Hmm, I'm very sorry, love, but that was funny," he said with a smile and tried to reach for her, but she flinched away.

"Apologies," Aaron said, retreating.
"I... I'm sorry for pushing you away, but I feel I'm better off alone right now," Isolde explained.
"Well, I wouldn't be at ease if I didn't know how you were doing."
"I'm good, as you can see," Isolde replied quickly, while Aaron scrutinized her closely.
"You don't seem to be, and I want to ensure your safety," Aaron insisted.
Isolde looked up at him and scoffed. "What, are you, my guardian angel or something?" Anger slowly crept onto her features.
"I suppose you're unaware of what's happening outside," Aaron remarked.

What's happening?"
"The Stone of Protection has been stolen from the King's Cave. If you're not aware of what that means, it means sooner or later, the land will dissolve into chaos until we are able to retrieve it," Aaron informed her.
"What does that mean? I know nothing about stones," Isolde said, looking confused.
"Every kingdom has a stone that protects the realm and its people. This stone is created through sorcery to safeguard the land. Ours was stolen when our land was attacked a few days ago," Aaron explained whileIsolde looked at him with wide eyes as his words seeped in.
"Where is Tyrion?" She asked before she could stop herself. Aaron shifted uncomfortably in his seat and looked away from her before meeting her gaze again.

Why are you asking about him?" Aaron asked, his voice low and calm.
"I... I just want to be sure he's safe."
"What? After everything he did? Who knows if he helped steal the stone. He's a suspect too. After all he's done, you shouldn't be asking about him, Isolde," Aaron said.
"Well, you're not sure, and nothing should be done to him until he's found guilty," Isolde warned, while Aaron rolled his eyes.
"Where is he?" Isolde asked again.
"He's gone. Tyrion was close to the king; he must have paid great attention to the palace's comings and goings. It could only be him. Have you even asked yourself why he's in Emberfall? Have you asked him what his mission here is?" Aaron questioned, while Isolde laid back on the bed, closing her eyes to regain her sanity.

"Whatever hold he has over you, we'll break it," Aaron declared firmly.

"Alan?" Tyrion called out, his voice strained.
"You look like you've been through a battle," Alan remarked, confirming Tyrion wasn't hallucinating; he was truly there.
"Where have you been? Why did you abandon me?" Tyrion demanded, his eyes bloodshot.
"I can't stay near you when she's around. Her magic is different," Alan explained.
"Her magic?"
"I can't physically be with you, Tyrion, but I can sense everything around you. You need to stay away from her."
"Tyrion?" A familiar voice, tinged with concern, interrupted. It was followed by a loud gasp as she rushed forward, her hand cupping his bloodied face as she sobbed.

"Did Aaron do this to you?" The guards rushed toward her, trying to restrain her.
"Princess Matilda, you shouldn't be here, please," Greg, one of the guards, said, bowing, but the princess's eyes blazed with anger.
"You dare not tell me what to do, you filthy guards!" she screamed, then knelt beside Tyrion, leveling herself with his form on the ground.
"What are you doing here, Princess?" Tyrion asked, in pain. Matilda's lips trembled at the horrible sight before her.
"I suspected something was wrong after he informed the king about what you did. He told the king you ran away. I had to secretly follow Aaron because I sensed something wasn't right," she explained before turning to the guards to issue instructions.

"Unhand him, you pathetic lot!" Matilda's voice pierced the air, her face flushing with adrenaline.
"S-Sir Aaron ordered us to tie him, he wouldn't a—" The guard's explanation was cut short as Matilda's hand met his cheek with a resounding slap.
"I, Princess Matilda, command you to release Tyrion and help him to the palace. Anyone who defies my order will face a fate from which there is no escape. Do not dare me," she proclaimed, her voice dripping with authority and menace.

"Of course, my princess. We apologize for our error," the guard stammered, as he and his comrades swiftly untied Tyrion under Matilda's impatient gaze.