Chapter-2: "Lies and Silence- Two Tools of Liars"

Start from the beginning

“Tanmay, so kind of you to finally grace us with your attention. Did the sun rise from the west today?” The teacher said in a mock impressed voice.

The whole class had turned to look at Tanmay, laughing at his expense. Kamal turned too, and saw Tanmay muttering under his breath.

Kamal faced the teacher again, noticing for the first time that Sarthak was not paying attention, not even turning to look at Tanmay with everyone else. Sarthak was strangely staring straight ahead, at the teacher.

“We will be learning about Takols in the next class. And I want an essay on Tak on before we begin the next class. Those who fail to do it,” the teacher glared at Tanmay and his group of friends, “will not be allowed to attend the lecture on Takols. That's it, you all may leave.”

The scraping of desks and clattering of items were felt as all the students packed their stuff, free for the day and the weekend ahead.

Kamal started packing his roll of paper and his quill, ink pot and stuffed it in his bundle, snapping his fingers in front of Sarthak’s face when he made no move to get up.

Sarthak looked at Kamal with a strange look that Kamal didn't like at all.

“Kamal, what would you be if you were a Takol?” he asked, looking like he was looking at something far away even when his eyes were trained on Kamal.

Kamal stiffened, even when this question was more common than asking someone's name or their tribe on this island. Takols could also change their appearance like Tak, so everyone kept asking others what they would become if they were a Takol. This question was the best icebreaker ever.

He dawdled, and knowing he couldn't escape it, finally decided on the truth.

“I will become a girl.” Kamal released a breath and counted.

Sarthak stared at Kamal as if he was finally seeing him and very slowly a grin appeared on his face.

Kamal had reached 6 before asking the customary next question.
“And you?”

“I'll become a strong and handsome man, and marry that girl.” Sarthak was back to being his playful self, if his telltale grin was anything to go by.

Kamal couldn't help the heat that flooded his face. He avoided Sarthak's eyes and started folding up even Sarthak's rolls of paper just to have something to do.

“Aw, don't be shy. I promise I'll treat you like a princess and satisfy all your– oww.” Sarthak laughed even while he clutched the place where Kamal had elbowed him.

Too shy to even face Sarthak and keen to stop him from seeing his burning face, Kamal threw the rolls of paper on Sarthak's face and picked up his bundle, running away.

He heard Sarthak calling him but he had no courage to face him now. Or ever.

He hated when Sarthak made jokes like this. He hated what these jokes made him think. And he hated himself for not hating it properly.

He was near the gate when a guy from their class, Uloop, stuck his head inside the room and looked at Kamal, dead in the eyes, before saying, “Today evening.” His eyes implored the meaning behind it and he left as soon as he had come, without ever looking at Sarthak.

Kamal's face fell, a dark shadow taking its place whenever he heard these summons.

Kamal turned to face Sarthak and saw the understanding on his friend's face, and felt a gush of love and gratitude for this amazing guy, who was his friend.

He knew Sarthak wouldn't ask the meaning of it, having seen enough of ‘Today Morning’, ‘Today Night’, ‘Today After Lunch’ in Kamal's company.